• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe a problem...

I would not really know what to do, if I end up in a real fight, I'm almost 16 years old, and I've never been in a real fight...

I train Tae-Kwon-Do for 5 years now, and built up quite a kicking power and I usually train on head-hight...

Now, if there would be a real fight, I wouldn't know what to do because I'm afraid to seriously injure someone (Not meant arrogant or something) but if I would let my reaction go, the first kick would be on the head or neck. So do you guys/gals have any tips?

Run, don't walk....

Tae-Kwon-Do Pre-Black Belt

Assistant Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is true that you train not to fight. If you're concerned about realism though, I wouldn't worry about kicking someone in the head. Think about the target the head presents. It's small and mobile. It is very difficult to hit someone in the head. So, first you must get out of your brain the notion that you would be able to kick someone in the head in a street situation. That should make some of your worry go away. In TKD sparring you and the other person are both expecting to kick eachother, and maybe punch to the body once in a while. On the street that person isn't going to stand back in a fight they are going to get as close to you as possible. They are going to try to take you to the ground. A debilitating leg kick is much more effective than trying to kick someone in the head. I don't know why everyone practices head kicks, they are impractical. They are pretty and score points, but they are impractical and dangerous in a real situation.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Allright, thanks, but I didn't mean to just kick the head only, but like in the body itself, ribs etc, I know that they aren't exactly fragile, but then again, if you were to hit that person very hard...

And, I train not to fight, and I said IF :roll: :P

Run, don't walk....

Assistant Instructor

Don't worry about hurting the person. If you feel that someone is putting you in danger, do what you have to do until that person is no longer a threat.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

That's indeed a cool way to put it :D

But, what if the fight is not "life-threatening", are there any places to just fend them off, I think you know what I mean...

Run, don't walk....

Assistant Instructor

If you'tr fighting, it already IS life threatening. When situations rise to the level of violence, there is always a chance that you may be hurt or even killed...you never know how your opponent(s) will react. The chances vary, but are always there.

Like I said, the person is putting you in danger. Get out of danger, either by escaping, or incapacitating that person.

If you're going to defend yourself, do it right, do it efficiently, and don't baby the person that's trying to do you harm.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Perhaps learning how to grapple would be in order. If you are heavily reliant on kicks, especially your high kicks, then you are in serious danger of your opponent simply closing in.

If you really insist on kicking but you don't want to damage his legs, kick him on the hip or waist in combination with getting out of the way and warding him off with your hands. Hitting him there will steal his balance and possibly his breathing. That should give you plenty of time to run away or close in to use infighting techniques or whatever you choose to do.

I think legs are extremely useful. However, I don't ever view them as some magic bullet to instantly end a fight, especially one targeted towards the head or neck. Unless you're talking about attacking someone's leg or knee, that is.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/