• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TO HIT AND NOT TO GET HIT ? THIS IS MY QUESTION !

pers

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bingo. kata is not like a streetfight, nor is drilling. full contact continuous sparring is the closest to it you will likely get in a school.

I disagree, we also deal with situations, in a pressure test like environment. The attacker comes in with an attack and we have to deal with it in whatever way we see fit - if the attacker is not deemed to be incapacitated they carry on attacking. There are no set rules like in sparring situations - you could indicate eye gouges, bites, spitting, groin grabs etc.

I have also done a bit of training with 2 on 1 stuff - now THAT'S worrying stuff! ;)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Kata is very important part of self defence training ! diferrent katas prepare for diferrent situations and one through good instruction can learn a great deal from katas .

But each to its own ! basics and Sparring also add to the equation .

I agree with Angela g 's answer regarding not getting hit ,inevetibily you get hit in the class by your partner when sparring or doing pair work ,that should condition your body ,but outside the dojo you do your best to minimize your exposer as one hit by your opponent who could be armed with a knife or bottle could be the end of you!!

never give up !

bingo. kata is not like a streetfight, nor is drilling. full contact continuous sparring is the closest to it you will likely get in a school.

I disagree, we also deal with situations, in a pressure test like environment. The attacker comes in with an attack and we have to deal with it in whatever way we see fit - if the attacker is not deemed to be incapacitated they carry on attacking. There are no set rules like in sparring situations - you could indicate eye gouges, bites, spitting, groin grabs etc.

you indicatae it, but cannot actually do it. If you could, your dojo would be full of blind people with busted kneecaps...if that's not the case, then you are pulling punches - not very close to reality, right? At least in full contact, i am really hitting you hard.

you indicatae it, but cannot actually do it. If you could, your dojo would be full of blind people with busted kneecaps...if that's not the case, then you are pulling punches - not very close to reality, right? At least in full contact, i am really hitting you hard.

We indicate stuff like that - who said we pull our punches?

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Are you saying that you punch as hard as you can in your Shotokan dojo ?

Yes; at least I'm used to. However, we control distances to the point where our punches come just short (as short as possible; so as not to injure our sparring partner).

I have never tournament sparred, and it may go full contact w/ pads there, but I wouldn't know... but all the one/three step sparring I have ever done in the dojo, we go full speed, of course without contact; which I realize has some inherent disadvantages which have already been discussed; mainly the lack of contact, which is where pad sparring may come in... as I've already stated though, I don't possess this knowledge yet.. ask me in two weeks after our tournament :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

The style of goju places great emphasis on being hit as the old masters realized that in combat you were going to sufer some sort of damage because there is always someone faster and stronger or more skilled and what can be a great equalizer is the ability to absorb damage. If you have ever sparred a goju man you probably noticed this he packs a mean punch and is tough as nails

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Are you saying that you punch as hard as you can in your Shotokan dojo ?

- Musse

We have two different styles of fighting: The point style sparring as per normal - which is semi-contact and because of all the rules etc. is useless for learning SD (Kicking above the belt, closed fists, straight punches, full extention etc.)

Then we do oyo fighting, which is open - the only difference is that one attacks and one defends. (A bit like real life really) If you get caught by one of those haymakers or jabs you will know about it!!

Angela