• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TO HIT AND NOT TO GET HIT ? THIS IS MY QUESTION !

pers

This is my concept of martial art ,the way I learned it ! so with the right mental attitude and good techniques any person of any size could have a chance against any opponent of any size and wieght .

If your school of martial art cater this ,you may have a chance to face who ever ! providing you are mentally prepared as well . The idea is as i am sure most of you know anyway is TO HIT AND NOT TO GET HIT !

It is easily said than done ,but this is the ultimate aim ,so when the opponent is about to hit you ,your training should enable you to not be there ! manipulate your opponent in a way to give yourself an advantage to hit him and finish it ideally with one technique .

What do you think ? is this the way you have trained ? let me know ! :)

never give up !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone ever wants to get hit.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

No, not every club (style) follows this generality.

We had a tough young man visit our club and join for the workouts. He was a 2nd or 3d dan in Shotokan and tho we were Shorin-ji, he flelt we had a better workout than the local Shotokan clubs.

About a year after joining, during a sparring practice, when he was sparring with Sensei, he got hit with a hook punch to the short ribs but he hit Sensei back.

Sensei stopped the match (which was getting pretty vigorous and somewhat ego driven) and told him, "I scored my hit. You should stop and acknowledge my hit before starting again." because it was a sort of informal shiai.

P. said, "Oh, I'm willing to take a hit to give a hit."

I saw Sensei make an "oh, is see" face and nod his head and they continued. Within thiry seconds, Sensei caught him with the same rib strike but sunk it in, dropping P. to his knees, gasping for breath.

P. hung around for a few weeks but faded to open his own club which may just keep trying to take hits to give hits.

The question is do we need to hit or get hit ?

By practicing MA 2 or 3 times a week, I am usuly more calme and relax so when probleme acure i am not that quit on the triger.It that still normal or what,Ok from where I,M from I don't have to prove my self everyday or maybe it the age,but still it work I DON'T GET IT :argue:

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

The question is do we need to hit or get hit ?

By practicing MA 2 or 3 times a week, I am usuly more calme and relax so when probleme acure i am not that quit on the triger.It that still normal or what,Ok from where I,M from I don't have to prove my self everyday or maybe it the age,but still it work I DON'T GET IT :argue:

Obviously the first thing we all learn as martial atists is to avoid confrontation ! My reason to start this thread was to find out the concepts of diferrent schools of karate ,how the idea of self defence is practiced and explained to students.

never give up !

No, not every club (style) follows this generality.

We had a tough young man visit our club and join for the workouts. He was a 2nd or 3d dan in Shotokan and tho we were Shorin-ji, he flelt we had a better workout than the local Shotokan clubs.

About a year after joining, during a sparring practice, when he was sparring with Sensei, he got hit with a hook punch to the short ribs but he hit Sensei back.

Sensei stopped the match (which was getting pretty vigorous and somewhat ego driven) and told him, "I scored my hit. You should stop and acknowledge my hit before starting again." because it was a sort of informal shiai.

P. said, "Oh, I'm willing to take a hit to give a hit."

I saw Sensei make an "oh, is see" face and nod his head and they continued. Within thiry seconds, Sensei caught him with the same rib strike but sunk it in, dropping P. to his knees, gasping for breath.

P. hung around for a few weeks but faded to open his own club which may just keep trying to take hits to give hits.

Actually, I think the "tough guy" was thinking along practical lines - It's more aligned to reality. The problem I've seen with alot of people is that either

1. they think they are never supposed to be hit, and in the attempt to not get hit, they become WAY to defensive and get beaten anyway, or

2. thyey are afraid to get hit.

Neither of these situations is optimal. Ideally, you don't want to get hit, but realistically, you probably will. So, you must be comfortable with the fact that you will likely get hit. Once you are comfortable with this, I think you'll see improvement overall with fighting. The problem is, point sparring is not conducive to this, as point sparring promotes not getting hit. I'm a firm believer in a continuous format of sparring, as opposed to the point method for this reason.

I don't know why many of you think that contact isn't made when doing point sparring. There is frequent contact do to clean technique or someone not as good as the other yet.

Also, it depends on the purpose of the sparring session? We use to have sparring sessions that were pretty close to street brawls...

Here's the general rule we use to follow: If make excessive contact due to an error in your technique, we would quietly say osu, all is fine and continue on your way. If you make excessive contact due to perfect timing and technique, anotherwise the other person couldn't get out of your way, then a quiet osu is stated and sparring continues. However, if the other party makes excessive contact just to make contact and he doesn't say osu, HE's GOING DOWN HARD and FAST...!

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/