• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu

Hey all, I currently study Hapkido but I will have to switch because I am moving to University in fall. At the university, there is a Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu club which I am thinking about joining once I move. Obviously I"ll check it out first and see what it's like, but I"m still curious if anyone can give me any information as to what this specific type of jiu jitsu is like, possibly how they train, etc. Also, I have felt that my Hapkido training has some real street applications, and part of the reason I enjoy it is because of its self-defense applications. Can anyone comment on the self-defense applications of this style of jiu jitsu..or even jj in general?

Thanks alot guys!

Traz

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nope, in the korean section I gave a list of styles and tried to find out which one might better suit my Hapkido training.

But, I think I've narrowed it down and am really interested in this jiu jitsu style, so I"m trying to find someone with first hand experience with it who can help me.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

Hello. I practise Shorinji kan jiu jitsu.

However early last year it went through a bit of an identity facelift.

It is practised by a group called the Jitsu foundation and is usually now referred to by the simple term "

jitsu" or "TJF jiu jitsu"

It's quite wide spread through the UK with many clubs at universities. It teaches jiu jitsu with emphasis on defence, with techniques ranging from Judo styles throws to more flowing techniques such as found in aikido. It pressure tests techniques by use of Vs where you are singly attacked by multiple opponents in a near continuous stream. How effective this is for real combat I'm not sure, however it definitely helps you drive through the adrenalin barrier.

Its also quite a formal style compared to other dojos I've studied with a strict hierarchy and lots of bowing.

I started at university and still find it an enjoyable martial art to study, and the breakfalling is a useful talent to have.

My advice try and see. What do you have to lose?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• 2 months later...

The lineage of this style of Jiu-Jitsu can traces its way back to a number of people:

Riukiu Miura:

Head Instructor for unarmed combat at the Tokyo police, who has experience on Shorinji Kenpo, Judo and several styles of Jiu-Jitsu. Coupling his knowledge of formal martial arts training with his experience with the police, he amalgamated his dojo training with street fighting based techniques to produce Shorinji Kenpo Jiu Jitsu.

Matthew Komp:

Studied both Shorinji Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu under the wing of Myura. However, Komp was also an exponent of Karate, Judo and Aikido, and further developed Miura's style, which he took to Austrailia in the 1950s.

Brian Graham:

A 5th dan Jitsuka and 2nd dan Judoka who studied under Komp, renamed the style to Shorinjikan Jiu Jitsu, and brought it to England.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.