• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching as a kid

I'm 14 years old, 8th kyu (hopefully soon to be 7th), and in the advanced class (adult class really, it's amazing I'm even in it). The other day Sensei asked me to instruct 10 or so white belts in ichykyu-kata. I hadn't ever taught anything before in my life, except to my brother (who was part of the group, and who I'd already taught the kata to). So, my question is, how do you do that? I think about how Sensei teaches it, and when Sensei does so, it makes perfect sense. When I try and do the same thing, I look rather sad, because I'm a mere one rank above these guys right now. The other Sensei hung around, and helped where I could, the Sankyu taught his group and berated me for not knowing how to teach mine, and then yelled at me to get them moving (I didn't do anything, I didn't, he's scary...). I don't know what I'm doing, so can someone please help?

Oh, and the other thing that screwed me up was one of the little white belts decided to pipe up and say "You're doing it wrong" when I had it right and he had it wrong. What do I do about them, when they won't show (pretend, it's close enough) any respect, even though Sensei put me in charge of them?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a lower level tells you you're doing it wrong when you're right, make them do pushups

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

A mere one rank isn't just "mere" it is a rank, that means you have that much more knowledge...your sensei asked you to instruct them for a reason, because he apparently trusts yo have the knowledge to do so..so have confidence and show them that you are not timid, if a kid misbehaves, sit him out for a 5 minute or so, or tell sensei...have fun too...don't be afraid to teach, it helps you learn as well ;)

Few points

1. the higher in rank you go the more you will be asked to teach. This if for a few reasons. 1. It lets the Sensei see if you really know the move or in this case the kata. Teaching is the best way to learn anything. 2. It gives you confidence. There is nothing better than seeing somone you helped get it right. 3. It also forces you to do things you dont like to do. Could be puclic speaking, could be discipline being the bad guy, or it could be asking for help all are options.

2. IF your right or if your wrong never let the low rank know you are. Show confidence at all times. Thats the secret to karate be confident in yourself. Chances are most white belts are not going to learn that move that night anyhow and will forget and be retaught later. Coach effort not techinque. Techinque will come with time.

3.Little kids ask hard questions One thing your dojo must stress is order and question are ok but attacks on other students are not. If you doint it wrong ask him to teach usually that ends all attacks. You know you may have been wrong but guess whats thats part of teaching and learing. If you odnt make mistakes you never get better.... so dont let that get to you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Just remember.... Respect is something that is earned, and not demanded. Don't get wrapped up in a power trip and make people start doing pushups, etc and exploiting your new powers. It doesn't sound like that will be a problem, but a lot of people will resort to that at first.

Don't sweat a bad day teaching too much, as it's going to happen to everyone. You will learn that somethings work, some things don't, and some things work for some people and not for others, etc. Sometimes, the easiest way is to just mimic how your instructor does it.

When I teach forms to a person for the first time, I'll have them follow me by my count, and we'll start off with the first 3-4 moves (depending on how complex the form is) and then start over, adding a move each time.

I don't bother with correcting too many things until they have memorized the steps. Then I'll work on solidifying the stances (at least getting them in the right stance) then move on to other posture issues (hips rotated, back straight, eyes up, then move on to targeting and refining the actual techniques. That's for the end though, and it may be awhile before we even get to that.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Hey Kieran-Lilith, teaching can be scary stuff, and nerve wracking as well. Here's what I tell the kids in my class when they start out.

1) Be confident. If you act confident then a lot of your problems go away. Like the student telling you that you were doing it wrong. COnfidence is in the way you stand, the way you speak and the way you teach.

2) Always follow a critisism with a complement. This is more important when you are teaching kids.

3) Don't just tell someone how to do something, show them.

That's a few pointers to get you started. I personally have some issue with someone getting on your case while you are teaching. It undermines your authority. I try to speak to the students after class and offer pointer. If they are really messing up I may come in and ask them to assist someone else but I think slamming the person in front of the class is usually counter productive.

Good luck and stick with it. Your instructors must ahve seen some good stuff about you in order to put you in front of the class!

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Hey Kieran-Lilith, I'm also 14 (gonna be 15 soon) and like you I teach at my school. However, I have the luxery of wearing a black piece of cloth around my waist, something that demands respect from all strudents at my dojo no matter if I'm teaching a 7 year old, a 17 year old, or a 47 year old. However, I can try to give you a few pointers.

I agree with SloMo, but I'll add: 1) Always be positive, never make a negative comment when teaching children.

2) Remind the students that you were put in charge by your instructor and if they give you a hard time you will go get him/her.

3) I found that an effective way to make students pay attention to you is to complete your explaniation if you see they aren't paying attention. Then, after the explanation, ask the student that you believe wasn't paying attention to repeat/sum up what you just said.

4) Be confident, yes this is redundant, but the importance of confidence is immense. Your body language says a lot about you. If you look confident, students (anyone for that matter) will natrually give you more respect.

5) Never argue with a student, this shows weakness as a teacher and an authority figure. Simply end the argument with dignity and speak to them after class or ask you instructo to speak to the student when (s)he has time.

6) Avoid looking at teaching as a job or an assignment. Look at it as a way to improve yourself. That way you'll be more enthusiastic (the more fun you make things and the enthusiastic you are the more younger students pay attention).

Have fun and good luck with your training/teaching.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Thank you all very, very much. If anyone else gets any ideas, feel free to share them. It's also really helpful coming from people who have been in my situation before. My green belt friend out here is no help whatsoever, he didn't have Sensei trying to get him to teach anyone at yellow belt rank. Now he uses my friend as a "guinea pig" to show techniques to the students. My friend keeps insisting I should volunteer to be the guinea pig, I'm not that crazy! I trust Sensei and all, but some of these techniques qualify as torture in my mind.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu