• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing blues

Hello Everyone,

There is a promotion test that is just around the corner at my school. I have worked really hard in class and have trained equally as hard outside of class. The Headmaster has said that anyone can attempt to perform the Tai Chi form we have been working on for a promotion. Six weeks before the test, he asked me to perform the form for him. I got through the form but I made some pretty big mistakes. He told me that I had a basic understanding, but that I was not ready to test. Now, three weeks later, after being totally crushed, but still training hard for my own benifit, the Headmaster tells me that I am "close" to earning the promotion sash. He has not told me to test, and I am leary about resigning back up. I have approached him and asked him if he wanted me to test, and he says nothing. He just says that several of his students are close. The Headmaster is a wonderful teacher and he is encouraging, fair, and honest with his students. I have an enormous amount of respect for him. I am really troubled with testing in a few weeks. If he tells me I am not ready, why is he training me so hard and telling me that I am close. Thank you in advance for your encouragement and help in this matter.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's always been a policy in my dojo to NEVER ask to be tested, and to never measure yourself against other students, only against yourself.

If you're ready, and your teacher is a good guy, he'll let you know when it's time for you to test.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

I second that, krunchyfrogg.

Use my philosophy, dtstiachi: "Accept, don't expect."

Essentially, what that means is accept when your instructor tells you that you are ready, don't expect to be told every time you walk into class, like I used to. You'll feel much better, and when you ARE ready, it will come as a pleasant surprise. :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I agree, belts/sashes are to hold your pants up. Don't worry so much about your sash, it's just a mere rank and means nothing. You could be awhite belt and hold the knowledge a black belt has, it's just the different color in belts..don't worry about it. I'm sure your sensei will let you know when you are ready. Just keep practicing hard and show him you are ready.

• 1 month later...

Be sure to let us know how it went. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu