• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

horse stance

We are also taught to drop our body weight when some one attempts to throw us, but I am not waiting for you to twist my arm thanks very much.

whose gonna twist your arm? throws are done in combinations, just like strikes, and they are FAST. I am already holding your arm and have it secured if I did the shoulder throw properly. When you sink, all I have to do is turn into you and reap a leg for the ko uchi follow up. I have to make hardly any adjustment for the modified shoulder throw at all, thank you very much....

If I am attacked, in a bear hug from the front or behind, and we use multiple attackers, so I am not going to the ground if I can help it, I am going to grab a nice handful of skin either on your groin or inside of your thigh then shoot some elbows.

wrong. pain compliance is not the answer. grabbing skin usually won't accomplish much - especially in a high adrenaline situation. depending on how he's bear hugged you, his groin may not be reachable.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing "it builds leg muscles," "it gets you strong," "it builds endurance." I'm wondering if these people didn't read the intro post to the thread, or if they just have nothing new to add, b/c these were addressed in that, and they aren't really saying anything to dispute or agree with what was said.

EDIT: I should point out that I've clarified myself during the thread, I'm talking about when the stance is held (90 degrees) for long periods of time.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

Why would I let you secure my arm? Maybe if we are doing self-defense and I am letting you take me down, but other than that, I don't think so! Same for the reaping sweep.

Actually pain compliance works very well. I suggest you check out Tom Patire's CDT, which is now taught to police officers in many states.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

Why would I let you secure my arm? Maybe if we are doing self-defense and I am letting you take me down, but other than that, I don't think so! Same for the reaping sweep.

Actually pain compliance works very well. I suggest you check out Tom Patire's CDT, which is now taught to police officers in many states.

securing the arm is part of the throw. it works perfectly well, which is why it's so popular in judo. You don't have to LET them secure anything - it's spontaneous. They won't sit there and fight your arm - that wouldn't make sense. It's based on judo's principle of kazushi - off balancing. let's say wwe are in a clinch, for example. We are tied up, so I already have a hold of you anyway. The clinch is the most common range to enter in a fight, so you will likely end up there at some point. with a forward pull, I jerk you off balance. I fit in for the throw, and the arm is then secured in the fold of my opposite arm - I'll find a pic, since you seem not to understand how an arm would be secured.

the reaping sweep is just there - because you set yourself up for it when you dropped into the horse stance. I've seen it done a thousand times - you are no different from anyone else... naturally, it's possible to step out of the reap - anything can be countered. It's a very plausible and successful technique, however.

as for pain compliance, no, it's not the answer. it works differently on different people. On some it works great, on others, not at all. In addition, it can be merely an annoyance - something that will just tick people off. The proper use, IMO for a pain compliance technique would be merely to create a slight reaction that you can capitalize on. in the example you gave, I can guarantee you that grabbing my skin would not make me release the bear hug. At most, I may flinch some. HOPEFULLY, I flinch enough and in such a manner that you may capitalize on it.

Guys, please do not go off topic any longer with the arm discussion.

This post was only meant to address the benefits vs. physical health hazards regarding a 90 degree horse stance heald for long periods of time.

Thanks. :karate:

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

the knees can be injured anytime something involving them is done incorrectly, from squats to horse stance. you have to watch your positioning - do not let your knees extend past your toes. This is bad alignment and places unneeded strain on the knees.

Also - and this varies from style to style - is the position of the feet. Some styles advocate that the toes point forward - this causes unneeded strain on the knee. Other styles advocate that the toes oint slightly outward - this is much better on the knees.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the "horse" stance is a good training stance. We do all our drills with the stance- sometimes it can be painful with my thighs though lol.

Life is a book, you have to read it to achieve it- invent your own novel