• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i was asked by family to asked a few questions on sparring?

matbla

i was asked by family to ask these questions about sparring

if the topics are posted before then still help me out o.k.

1)what is sparring in karate?

2)what is your best comb or moves

3)what gear do you use

thank please answer o.k.

from matt blake

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring in karate usually ranges from no contact to medium contact empty hand fighting. The gear usually used includes hand and foot pads, a protective cup and a mouth guard. Other optional gear includes head gear and shin and forearm protectors. Personally I like to use backfist/ridgehand. I also like hopping in with a front leg round kick and finishing with my hands or else starting with my hands and as they back away throwing some kicks.

Long Live the Fighters!

i like this info. please try to get this out there

i know there are more who want to tell what they use

and what sparing means to them

i am not spamming this

i thank it is a good topic

and people need to know the answer to questions like mine

from matt blake

For some sparring is practicing what they learn in katas and drills to see if they can use it a self defense application. Can you block a punch if someone throws one at you? Can you handle a kick if someone tries to kick you?

Just one aspect. There are many others.

hey Matbla,

1)what is sparring in karate?

Sparring in most schools is a way to practice learned skills and develop new ones. sparring for beginners tends to involve little or no contact, alot depends on the dojo and the art. most sparring involves a set standard or gentlemen rules, limited moves to confirm safety. as skills and rank progress the rules sometimes shift to more street realistic scenarios.

most karate schools i have trained in don’t allow foot sweeps and kicks below the belt in any fashion. (which to me is sad)

most sparring is played out like a game of first person to 3-5 points

As an instructor when i see students sparring it helps to gauge there level of control and technique.

3)what gear do you use? this is pretty standard and tufrthanu covered it well enough in my mind. in most schools this stuff is required and without it your sitting on the sidelines. be cautious of a school that allows you to spar without a cup\mouthpiece and head gear at least

2)what is your best comb or moves

My bread and butter is a defensive side kick and the blitzing back-fist

i like to get in and get out without taking any damage

Its all about the Chiflow

• 4 weeks later...

1. What is sparring?

In my school we practice sparring for several resons.one is to develop and practice skills. Even though there are some general rules sparring helps you get used to what might happen in a real life situation.

In our dojo beginers are not alowed to free spar.Instead they are taught somthing called pre-aranged sparring where one person is attaker and one is defender both know what the other will do.Later we are alowed to free spar and lean how to use the skills that we arre learning.

3. What gear do you use?

The gear starts with hand, and foot gear,mouthgaurd,and for guys groin protection. Some dojos also require head gear.

There's also chest guards,and shin guards.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

hang on, shouldn't you have figured this out during the course of training?

i mean, isn't it hard NOT to know what sparring is after having done a sparring lesson?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I like to use a crescent kick to the head area with my right foot (out of a right foot back fighting stance) followed up by a spin rear with my left. It's kind of hard to follow that up with any hand motions so I typically like to make my exit. If I wasn't fast, this would be a miserable failure as well.

• 1 year later...
hang on, shouldn't you have figured this out during the course of training?

i mean, isn't it hard NOT to know what sparring is after having done a sparring lesson?

No doubt he has, I think he's looking to see what other styles and martial artists define it as, so he can better articulate that to his family.

Matbla,

#1 - has been covered fairly well so far. :)

#2 - I typically will use a thrust kick to get someone out of my way if I am feeling crowded. I find a mix of hand and leg techniques seem to work well, for example 2 punches, front kick, ridgehand. If you practice your own combinations very frequently you'll find you can do them very very fast. That is what you'll want in competition sparring.

#3 - My dojo uses teeth protectors as well as small hand guards. (They are thin leather gloves which cover our knuckles.)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu