• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What punching bag weight?

GrooveChampion

What punching bag weight would be best? I heard that too heavy a bag will give muscle mass and slow you down. I need punching and kicking power. There is a #70 canvas bag at Gart Sports for like, $65. It has real thick canvas and heavy stitching. I can't recall brand. I need something to just go all out on for like 5 minutes non stop without worry of breaking or anything.

the size thing is a myth. you have to be HUGE in order for your body to slow down significantly. Look at heavyweight boxers, for example. They are not slow at all, and they have power. Don't feed the myth...

breaking gones won't be an issue as long as your form is correct. Since the bag is canvas, definitely wear gloves, or else you will likely tear the skin off of your knuckles.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I highly recommend that u do not get a canvas heavy bag, not only will they tear up ur hands if u don't have proper protection but they will also tear up your shins and feet, and while some ppl may think this will toughen those areas i disagree with them, it just means time away from training while waiting for ur skin to grow back.