• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Red belt blues

Hiya all.

This kind of ties into the "Blue belt Blues" article in the article section. Anyways here goes.

Unlike the article, I don't think I really reached a "plateu," eventhough I have to be a red belt (in TKD, that's one rank below black) for 9 months to a year (depending on the testing schedule). I know what I need to work on.

I read a book on "Teaching Martial Arts." I don't remember who it's by, sorry. I'll look it up and get back to you. Anyways, they said that some females, at some time, have doubts about their training. I think I'm at that point.

In my case, I don't want my black belt till I KNOW I can back it up. I don't just want the rank (this is kinda weird for a TKD student huh? .... sorry, bad joke). Anyone that has read the book knows what I'm talking about.

I have defended myself in the past, but it was against a skinny punk, and I basically took care of him. I was thinking at work today, about this guy who works with me if he attacked me. He's about 250lbs, and all muscle. Big guy. How would I do against an attacker like him? I'm 150bls, and I've been training for 4 years, but would that be a match against a body builder freak intending to do harm?

What do you all think? Oppinions?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I think anyone, at some times, will doubt their training, females and males both. Being female has nothing to do with it. Perhaps not all women will immediately jump into MA, but once they have grown accustomed to it, there is no longer any reason to consider a female martial artist as different from her male counterpart (mentally/psychologically speaking).

As far as the size of an attacker goes... That's a different story. I'd like to think that with enough training, I could be tough enough to withstand heavy blows and not utterly fall apart. But I guess I'll never know until the real deal strikes. Technique can make up for some of the size difference, because a kick to the face is a kick to the face--it hurts. Anybody.

However, I think the key thing to remember is that predators attack the weak. If you show initial signs that you aren't one to be messed with, like walking confidently, and looking aware, then they won't even strike. If they still do attack, and you put up a good fight, they may back off. Unfortunately, if someone wants to do damage to you specifically, and not just any gal on the street, then you may be at a significant disadvantage.

I was thinking at work today, about this guy who works with me if he attacked me. He's about 250lbs, and all muscle. Big guy. How would I do against an attacker like him? I'm 150bls, and I've been training for 4 years, but would that be a match against a body builder freak intending to do harm?

Getting a black belt is no guarantee against anything, especially against a guy that is athletic and big enough to be an NFL linebacker. I believe that thinking that you would be a "match" may not be the best thinking, however, knowing that you could defend yourself and survive is another story. You certainly are better prepared than most and I'm sure that you could handle 90% of the population.

As far as the doubt, it is a natural feeling. Once you pass (and I am confident that you will) you will realize that you have had "it" the entire time. You just have to find "it". That is what your test will help you do.

I know that you have been training for a while and that you train hard. From your posts I can tell that you are conscientious about your training. Keep on this path and be confident that when your instructor puts you up, he knows that you are ready. You just need to believe it.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hey Red J, Ol' bud. Long time no see :) Good advice. Beka as well.

I don't wanna go out and find out if my training works. But yet, I want to know it works in a way. It's hard to explain.

It's kind of like in class .... I like to spar the big guys (there's a few in the advanced class), not the women (no offense girls). I can hold my own most of the time, but when I got my butt kicked by a green belt male who was about 200lbs, I guestioned my training. But then again, this was sparring with rules. The stuff that I wanted to use (elbows, knees, joint locks and the like) are not allowed.

When I did TSD, and we learned joint locks, grappling, ect, I wanted to try the stuff on one of my friends who was a 250lb guy in the military. He was always game for it, but never went easy on me (I told him not to). When a technique worked, I REALLY knew it worked when he would tap, or I'd kick him across the dojang, or what have you. I don't have that now.

Those big guys in class are never game to try it. Or maybe they think they'd get in trouble, I don't know.

Laurie F

Those big guys in class are never game to try it. Or maybe they think they'd get in trouble, I don't know.

Or maybe they don't want to get trashed by you!

:wink:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I don't think I really reached a "plateu," eventhough I have to be a red belt (in TKD, that's one rank below black) for 9 months to a year (depending on the testing schedule). I know what I need to work on.

In my case, I don't want my black belt till I KNOW I can back it up. I don't just want the rank (this is kinda weird for a TKD student huh? .... sorry, bad joke). Anyone that has read the book knows what I'm talking about.

What do you all think? Oppinions?

I had a very similar feeling that almost ended my martial arts career about a quarter of a century ago (yeah, I feel old ). The major difference is that I had my doubts after achieving my black belt, not before.

As I stood there having my first picture taken after wrapping it around my waist, I felt empty and uncertain rather than feeling that I had achieved anything. I was the same person before the test and ceremony as I was afterwards. I didn't feel worthy of the honor I had always bestowed on others who had achieved such a rank. Who was I anyway? Some pretender parading around in a belt that I wasn't sure I was worthy of. I looked into the eyes of the children in the class and felt like an imposter and a disgrace to the art. I felt that I should have had the courage and character to refuse the promotion and end the charade, but my ego was too strong and my will was too weak. My internal conflict brough tears to my eyes. For months afterwards I struggled with my demons, should I quit in shame or continue to feed my ego?

Years later, while I was being awarded with a world championship in Germany, I had an uncanny flashback. This time though, I realized I had conquered my greatest foe. Had I let my fears of inadequacy defeat me, I would have lived the rest of my life with the firm belief that I was a failure and a fraud.

The very fact that you question your own abilities displays humility and the knowledge that someone loses in every conflict. You have accepted that you may very well be defeated. Without ever witnessing your technique, I can safely say that in your mind you are already worthy of Cho Dan. I feel comfortable in making the claiming that every Black Belt would be proud to count you among our numbers. All that's left to do now is to go take the test so you can display the rank you already appear to be worthy of.

Thor

ThorLoser, Thanks so much. That was a great post. Maybe your are right. I hope so, anyways. I don't test for BB till the fall, but you gave me so much to think about. Good advice there :)

I still like to hear from others, though (hint ..... Heidi *grins* and whomever wants to add comments).

Laurie F

Trust your abilities and I'm sure you will be fine. No matter how much other people might say they are not. They are just as nervous as you may be if ever in a confrontation. Fighting is not only about brute strength. Use your mind and the skill you have learned and I'm sure you will be fine. There is more than one way to skin a cat. :D

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I typed out a rather lengthy response to this thread, but upon looking over before I hit "Submit"...I figured it would just get deleted anyway and I'd get my hand slapped once again by "the powers that be"...so I'll just say this.

Laurie S., maybe you are lacking faith in the system/dojo you are doing and might want to check out a different one. IMHO, there are systems/dojo's out there that are not effective for real self-defense and that could be the problem. In the martial arts, you should be training and learning techniques, strategies and philosophies to fight anyone of any physical size or skill, whether it be Hulk Hogan, or a trained martial artist. If you have doubts about the system you are learning, perhaps you need to look around at other systems.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Laurie S., maybe you are lacking faith in the system/dojo you are doing and might want to check out a different one. IMHO, there are systems/dojo's out there that are not effective for real self-defense and that could be the problem. In the martial arts, you should be training and learning techniques, strategies and philosophies to fight anyone of any physical size or skill, whether it be Hulk Hogan, or a trained martial artist. If you have doubts about the

system you are learning, perhaps you need to look around at other systems.

Just my 2 cents worth.

While it is a distinct possibility that an individual may learn more techniques or become more confident in another system, it should be pointed out that Cho-Dan level in Tae Kwon Do does not in any way infer that a person can defend themselves in every situation. What it represents is that they have achieved a specific level of competence in performing approximately 75% to 85% of the basic blocks, kicks, punches and self defense techniques in the system, as well as having demonstrated adherance to the tenets of TKD. In TKD, the fun doesn't really start until after your 1st degree Black Belt. If a 1st degree Black Belt can defend themselves in all situations, why would there be need for higher levels? After achieving Cho-Dan rank is when the individual begins learning more complex basic maneuvers, some advance maneuvers and how to apply those techniques in a wider variety of actual real life circumstances.

Some systems and schools of course have different standards for ranking, but Lauri S. is discussing promotion in TKD and not promotion in one of those systems.

The reason for training in martial arts is to increase an individuals retinue of techniques, familiarity with combat situations and experiences in order to increase their probability of survival beyond what their probability of survival was previous to engaging in the training process. The purpose of ranking is to honor and identify the individual for reaching a specific competency level in a set of skills. It is undeniable that even in the 'perfect' system, when two practitioners of that system spar one another, someone will lose. Losing is obviously not the goal of training, so can it fairly be said that the loser needs a new system? I doubt this. It is inevitable that when entering into combat, there will be a loser.

I know of no system which grants it's students a certificate of guarantee that they will prevail in all encounters; I know only of systems that certify that an individual can accurately reproduce the techniques taught by that system.

It appears that you are confident in your system and your ability to achieve the outcome of victory if confronted with many possible confrontations, I applaud your ferocious spirit, fierce determination and the obvious will to dominate those who would do harm to you. You have ego and a fighting spirit which will serve you well, this is the heart of a warrior.

Lauri S., on the other hand, is not completely confident in her ability to effectively use her techniques to achieve the outcome of victory in all instances, I applaud her grasp of the futile nature of combat, humility and realization that any conflict could be her last. She will face every encounter with the knowledge that she is fighting for her very life, this is true courage.

Both of these attitudes are prevalent in martial arts. What must be accepted is that individuals engage in combat while systems, styles, schools and attitudes do not. Niether her humility not your fierce aspect are enough to ensure victory in combat, but harnessed properly, they can each lend strength to both of your techniques, thereby increasing both of your chances for survival and thereby fulfilling the purpose of training in the first place.

Thor