• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kumite

Souldburned

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I thought kumite is just sparing.
Effectively kumite is related to sparing orfighting.

in some school the use ippon-kumite (one attack one block)

and sambon kumite (3 steeps attack )

kumite is always related to fighting.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

Kumite is sparing and every karate style/dojo does it in one way or another.

In my dojo we do:

Yakusoku kumite = prearranged sparing

Ippon kumite = one step sparing

Jiyu ippon kumite = one step free sparing

Jiyu kumite = free sparing

hara wo neru

Um. It just literally means "crossing hands" or "meeting hands" or that kind of thing. Asking if it has some kind of story is like asking if the word "tsuki" (strike) has a story. It's just what they called it.

In the old days, they didn't do free-sparring. It taught too many bad habits since they did it for life and death, or at the bare minimum, with the possibility of severe injury even if the merely wanted to control the opponent.

With this in mind, I actually prefer yakusoku kumite to free sparring. Sure, free sparring is fun and it builds reaction speed, but you can do that with just drills and yakusoku kumite as well without a continuous atmosphere of "holding back". At best, free sparring in my opinion should start at the stand-up and end in the take down (whether or not you go down with the opponent is dependent on your style, I suppose...). But like I said, I think free sparring creates too many bad habits.

Edit: Primarily because the attacks and defenses you do in free sparring are usually never what you would "want" to do in a real fight. I'm sure someone would say "Well, you're just not sparring correctly." But my assertion still stands. You can be the best sparring person in the world and get beat in a street fight. You can be the best street fighter in the world and get beat in a sparring match.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/