• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could someone please check the authenticity of this dojo?

I've been looking around at different schools in the portland OR and vancouver WA areas because I'm moving out there within the next two months, and I happened upon this dojo. http://www.northwest-koryukan.com/home.htm I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to check the authenticity of it. Thanks

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what mades you think that the dojo can be somehow fake?

Clearly you've never heard of the Mcdojo? You little dear, you. Here, let me hold you to my matronly bosom...

Capital-

I don't live in Oregon. However, from their website, I think they sound pretty legit. They don't try to hide what they study, where it came from, etc. The head instructor gives his own bio, and they seem straightforward about what they teach. Classic signs of fraud in MA are those who don't list or discuss these kinds of things (*cough* west-wind *cough*). They tell you exactly what you're going to learn there, and I think that's a great starting off point for a good dojo. They apaprently give free intro lessons, but I have seen this used in a negative way. Write to them and ask how much lessons are. If they tell you how much they are, and they don't require contracts, you're in luck.

I think the best you can do now is just try it out when you move there :)

having a contract has no bearing on the legitimacy of the school.

you can't tell anything from a website.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

contracts are frequently used to keep someone at a school, to continue milking their money. A school that has its quality to rely on doesn't need a contract. Some good schools may still use contracts, but one should always be wary.

Yes, you can tell a lot from a website.

no.

'contracts' normally consist of the legal requirements (disclaimers and what-not) and insurance details.

insurance is paid either in one big lump sum, or in installments.

that isn't up to the club.

if you're not paying insurance, i'd be worried.

contracts tend to be a rather poor methods of getting money as it is finite and presents cost clearly.

even if you get sued for breaking contract, i don't see a case where the club can claim more than what is owed by the contract.

contracts don't mean a thing.

what is used to milk money are excessive testings, grades, costs for equipment and the like.

these are things that don't tend to feature in any of their literature because that is how they remain 'hidden costs'.

websites are advertising.

no school is going to knowingly put up bad information.

do you really think they're not aware of the mcdojo image?

do you really think that real mcdojos don't try to not present that image to potential customers and anyone else who may be looking at the website?

mcdojos tend to be part of a big organisation.

for the most part, this means that they will have more people to refer to than the small time schools.

i.e their website can potentially look much better.

you can't tell anything from a website.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Hey hey,

Good news. I know Sensei Taylor personally and I have to say he is one of the most knowlegable martial artists I have met. He teaches classes out of the dojo that I train at. You might want to have a look at that one, too. https://www.westsideshorinryu.com. Sensei Taylor is going to move from Westside Shorinryu and start as the head dude at a Shito-ryu dojo in Beaverton which is need of a head Sensei since their own one had to move south.

He just started teaching privately so he currently has VERY small classes, but once he moves to the new dojo, things will pick up for him.

He has a sense of humor that is VERY dry and sometimes he sounds like he's angry or mad or something, but it's his way of teasing. Once you get used to that--he's fine. He has worked quite a bit with Patrick McCarthy. As far as being "legit" he's a teacher that is using some space in someone elses dojo for a while--until he starts at the new school. I know for SURE he's not running a McDojo. Oh no--You will WORK for every belt rank and you will have your stuff down, that's for sure. He teaches using a lot of two person flow drills, learning Bunkai and then applying the Bunkai to the Kata, rather than learning a Kata and then applying the Bunkai. He uses many of the priciples of the Bubishi to teach Kata. He's not into flash, but rather practicality and usefulness of technique.

If you give him an email or a call or whatever I'm sure he'd be happy to meet you. Also, stop by at Westside and check out our classes, too! Where ever you choose to train, good luck with everything. And welcome to Portland, it's a great town.

send me a private email if you have more Q's

Edited by Sparkey