• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is kickboxing less popular then boxing?

If they can tone down the Spike TV bad guy factor, it might have a shot. If they focused on the technical aspect more than the WWF-style testosterone show, it might have a shot.

I believe we might as well call MMA its own martial art. As such, I believe it's the fastest growing one.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we might as well call MMA its own martial art. As such, I believe it's the fastest growing one.

I agree, Baron. I think it truly has evolved to become its own art.

baronbvp wrote:

After being at my Jeet Kune Do school on different days for striking, clinching, and grappling - I haven't even done trapping or weapons yet - I can say it really is an MMA school. Even though the instructor calls it JKD, has an Inosanto lineage, and trains some actual classic JKD techniques like the straight lead, modern MMA has taken over for Bruce Lee's concept of JKD. Train what works, eliminate what doesn't, train in all aspects of the fight and tailor your training to your own body and talents.

If they can tone down the Spike TV bad guy factor, it might have a shot. If they focused on the technical aspect more than the WWF-style testosterone show, it might have a shot.

While I understand why it was outlawed, I think that if competitors were once again allowed to wear gis in high-profile MMA (eg: UFC) it might be taken more seriously by the sorts of people who would allow it into the Olympics, because it drives home the idea that many if not most of these guys are experts in a more traditional style, not just wild bar-room brawlers (although some are both! :lol: ). I think they would probably also need to wear more protective gear; remember that Olympic boxing and TKD both require headgear and I wonder how that would interfere with techniques like some of the chokes.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

While I understand why it was outlawed, I think that if competitors were once again allowed to wear gis in high-profile MMA (eg: UFC) it might be taken more seriously by the sorts of people who would allow it into the Olympics, because it drives home the idea that many if not most of these guys are experts in a more traditional style, not just wild bar-room brawlers (although some are both! :lol: ). I think they would probably also need to wear more protective gear; remember that Olympic boxing and TKD both require headgear and I wonder how that would interfere with techniques like some of the chokes.

You make a good point here. The IFL is taking steps to refine the sport, but I don't think that it will ever adopt that much protective equipment. It would change the sport too much. I do think that they could adopt a uniform, like a wrestling singlet, or something like that.

baronbvp wrote:

After being at my Jeet Kune Do school on different days for striking, clinching, and grappling - I haven't even done trapping or weapons yet - I can say it really is an MMA school. Even though the instructor calls it JKD, has an Inosanto lineage, and trains some actual classic JKD techniques like the straight lead, modern MMA has taken over for Bruce Lee's concept of JKD. Train what works, eliminate what doesn't, train in all aspects of the fight and tailor your training to your own body and talents.

That is so cool, Baron. I think that Bruce Lee was quite the pioneer in the evolution of the martial arts. The best part about JKD is that the concepts can apply across the board, no matter what your initial training is, or even if you have never had any formal training.

You do own The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, don't you, Baron?

Own it, no. Read it in the last week from the library, yes. A very impressive work that looks to me largely like it could be titled, "Notes to Myself" by Bruce Lee.

For now, my Barnes and Noble card is still too hot to the touch...

Own it, no. Read it in the last week from the library, yes. A very impressive work that looks to me largely like it could be titled, "Notes to Myself" by Bruce Lee.

For now, my Barnes and Noble card is still too hot to the touch...

:lol: :lol:

Originally, he did not want to name his art, because it would add a limitiation to it. However, after being convinced that he could market the book better with a name of the style, I think he agreed to do name it.

I'm glad he did. I think he would gladly turn over that hassle to the name "MMA." Bruce did what he could at the time - the 60's - to develop and advance the MMA of the day. Some of his concepts like the straight lead are still debated. I suspect most current boxers and kickboxers still don't support the straight lead, but Bruce believed in it firmly.

I personally like to switch off, but I lead with my weak hand most of the time.

I think that Bruce did do quite a bit to aim the MMA revolution. I wonder if he would have delved even more into groundfighting than he did.

As for the straight lead, I usually lead with my strong, right hand. Being right handed and fighting southpaw can really mess with some people.