• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is kickboxing less popular then boxing?

In the US boxing has been around much longer than an equivilant eastern MA. It takes time for newer things to catch on. As the general public becomes accustomed to MA and advertizers realize they can make money off of MA broadcasts we should see more MA on TV. UFC finally making it onto regular cable tv was a step in that direction.

Another question would be why is wrestling (the real kind, not WWE) not as popular or widely televised in the US as compared to Boxing? Both sports arrived at the same time, have a wide base of participants (I'd argue more kids participate in wrestling than boxing however), and almost every culture has a form of competative wrestling in its history.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question would be why is wrestling (the real kind, not WWE) not as popular or widely televised in the US as compared to Boxing? Both sports arrived at the same time, have a wide base of participants (I'd argue more kids participate in wrestling than boxing however), and almost every culture has a form of competative wrestling in its history.

That is an easy one. its because one sport is about taking the other person down and putting their shoulders on the mat and the other is about beating the other person to a bloody pulp and trying to knock them out. its alot more entertaining to watch.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

One reason I think Boxing is more popular (besides the obvious money-issues) is because the rounds are a lot longer. most big-time pro-fights go on for up to 12 rounds, while all the kickboxing I have seen only goes on for up to 4 rounds.

Na you do get kickboxing matches that go up to 12 rounds. in thailand in between the rouds in MT they have 1min 30 sec beak but over here un the uk we only have 1min.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

in thailand, I think most matches are only 5 rounds...

In the US boxing has been around much longer than an equivilant eastern MA. It takes time for newer things to catch on. As the general public becomes accustomed to MA and advertizers realize they can make money off of MA broadcasts we should see more MA on TV. UFC finally making it onto regular cable tv was a step in that direction.

it's not about time. it's about money. There has always been money in boxing because people have always bet on it. it's become something of a tradition. Now, there is big money in boxing. it's entertaining (moreso than wrestling) which attracts many people. more people = more money. A WWE wrestler will get paid more than a MMA fighter. Why? bigger fanbase. There is more money there. It's all about economics.

UFC has an additional problem.... relative skill level. In addition to fan base, the average pro boxer is WAY more skilled than the avg pro MMA fighter. He's been doing it longer, had more fights, etc. (however, you can begin to see a change in this now) This also commands more money. Why do you think Tyson turned down royce's challenge back in the day? They don't have enough money to make it worth his while. And he was already a household name, so it wouldn't help his popularity. He had nothing to gain, whereas royce had everything to gain.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do we get into a book, or get into a movie? Why is Stephen King such a great author? It's because he can get you to relate to the characters. My point is anybody can throw a punch (no matter how bad it is), it comes natural. Kicks on the other hand are not taught to us from a young age in america, for the most part. Most Americans can't begin to throw a kick.

Think of it this way, when you watch a sport you like, how much do you know about the tecnique that is envovled? Now think about a sport you can't sit down and watch. How much do you know about it. I think it is because they can't relate to kickboxing as much as they can boxing.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Kickboxing is just now getting more popular. Boxing has been here forever.

Gravity is the root of lightness; stillness is the ruler of movement. Lao Tzu

• 5 months later...

I predict MMA, or hybrid fighting, will eventually surpass American boxing in the United States. The rise of MMA due to UFC and Pride, and the increasing popularity of KB and BJJ among everyday people looking to begin their own training in martial arts, will drive it that direction. It will take awhile. I also think you will see MMA in the Olympics, and that will kick start it.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.