• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is kickboxing less popular then boxing?

Um, just a note, Boxing goes way back to the time of the Minoans much further than the late 800's. And it would be my guess that it's is even older than that. (the Minoan Civilization dates back to about 3000-1100 B.C.)

"As you train, so shall you fight." - SWAT saying

"Hit first, hit hard, and hit continuously." -My Dad

"If it looks like a fight, start it." -My Dad

"Don't wait for an opening, make it happen." -My HS Wrestling Coach

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it is a pity that we don't really get to see the big fights anymore. Both boxing and kickboxing are growing sports here in SA, but hardly see it. It's like "they" cater for the masses wich in our case is then interest in ball sports like rugby, cricket, soccer/football and very little fighting.

Our tournaments are huge and we have great fighters, but it is what the masses are interested in seeing unfortunately ..... sad but true ....

"You do not truly know someone until you fight him." - Seraph

"To be the best, you must be the best." - Me

Yeah i always been wondering it my self though. Anyway back on topic I heard that Muay Thai is as popular as Baseball,Football amd Hockey combined in Thailand but in The States and Canada I dont have a clue why its not popular.

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Yeah i always been wondering it my self though. Anyway back on topic I heard that Muay Thai is as popular as Baseball,Football amd Hockey combined in Thailand but in The States and Canada I dont have a clue why its not popular.

it's a cultural thing. thai boxing is their national sport - baseball is ours. If you go to china, most of them have never hear of UFC oor pride. different cultures, different interests...

I also think one of the reasons is beacuase kicking in a fight is for "pussies" but i think that is only youth think that.

nah, that's just a school yard thing, mainly. And it really no longer applies. these days, when someone knocks a person down in a fight, what do they do? kick and stomp on them... I witnessed a friend of mine kick a guy off of the back of a moving school bus, and he had no MA training whatsoever.

I assumed that boxing's popularity is due to the information it gets from the media and other sponsors. We also see boxers with lots of money, fame, popularity - so people who want these kind of rewards might be inspired to take up boxing. Some boxers do it because they feel like it, they're advised to, or their friends do it.

One reason I think Boxing is more popular (besides the obvious money-issues) is because the rounds are a lot longer. most big-time pro-fights go on for up to 12 rounds, while all the kickboxing I have seen only goes on for up to 4 rounds.

The greatest clarity is profound silence.

Yeah, but what happens in those pro fights? They stand around, exchange a few fluries. They rarely really connect. In Muay Thai there is a feeling out process, but once the leg kicks and knees start, the action gets intense. I have seen few boxing matches live up to the hype.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War