• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Jackie Chan 5 thugs at a time possibble?

Very possible indeed.

Usually when your sorrounded there's always one who enters first even if they all rush at you at the same time...there's always one closer. In Aikido we practice defending ourselves with 3 or more attackers to get a feel and to know what to do. It's quite simple. Never find yourself trap in all of them always stay outside and make em bump each other and you'll start knocking out one by one or end up tying them up all together.

i agree with wing chun being effective. it is.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise that there are alot of variables that effect the situation but the original idea was to ask if it is realistic for me in perticular, not a highly trained master (Not that I am not highly trained)

I am 29 years of age.

I am a dragon in chinese zodiac.

I am about 5.7 ft tall.

I am about 150 pounds. (I think, I weigh myself in stones)

I do Karate, Tai Chi and Ninjutsu.

Does that narrow it down a bit?

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

It is definately possible to beat 5 thugs at a time or more! I would say it depends on what art you are practicing to say how long...Also the situation is important to determine that. Thats just my feelings on that... :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

It doesnt matter what art you study and how long.Even for the untrained,they still react with punching and kicking.

One main thing to handle handicap fights would be footwork.There are other things to do,but this is what I would rely on most.

Many people think footwork is a big part in street combat.

Moving around and keeping all 5 opponents in sight will lessen the chances of being snuck from your blind spots.

I also believe when your in a handicap fight,your always on defense.I believe offense can leave many open spots,ive had 2on1 boxing...and everytime I attacked one opponent,the other got me right in the jaw,not the greatest feeling.Also being on offense could get your attention on 1 opponent when there is actually 4 more right next or behind you.Thats jsut my thought on that..

im not sure if the acrobatics youre mentioning is what im imagining or not... but if it is, that is, if it looks anything like jackie chans movies, that has nothing to do with reality. yea, you wanna stay moving, and yea, if you can pick up a pipe or pot or osmething and hit someone with it more power to you, but jumping around and in and out of a ladder or a window or something just doesnt work out. ive heard of martial arts schools adding thigns like backflips to the curriculum- do them if you like, theyre kinda cool, but they have nothing to do with fighting.

This is what i said about acrobatics: "why I believe acrobatics is a good thing to learn. OF CAUSE NOT TO JUMP AROUND but be agile enough to use the environments to your advantage"

What I meant was, that some acrobatic moves makes you spin etc, and therefore makes you more agile and better to coordinate your body-movements, and become more light on your feet.

Of cause there are other ways to become more agile. But since acrobatics is sort of a "bad word" when talking about self-defense, I thought I would like to say that it can still be useful.

This can probably be discussed till doomsday, but I really dont have the patiens for that. So Il just say that this is just my opinion.

I wouldn't waste time watching Chan for fighting technique...aspire to be as skilled as you can be and learn from your instructor. Remember, Jackie Chan is an actor.

Is it possible to take on five thugs at once? Everything is possible, so yes. However your skill level and the opponents' skill levels are of course great factors. If you're facing off with a handful of fat slovenly and unarmed drunks, you may be able to manage them. Now if those five thugs happen to be veangeful Islamic assassins with poisoned blades in hand (just using that as an extreme example)...you're probably dead.

Best bet is to avoid having to fight five thugs...

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.