• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Diferences in Chinese and Japanese/Okinawan martial arts

Phantasmatic

I know very little about the differences of chinese and Japanese/Okinawan martial arts. Pretty much the only difference i know is that most Chinese martial arts are mostly soft styles! I would really enjoy having more knowledge in this matter. If someone could give all of us some info i would really appreciate it! Thanks :grin:

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Phantasmic, do you mean Internal/External arts, or Circular/Linear arts, or what? If thats the case then Chinese Gung Fu does seem to have more of a soft, circular style of fighting that Japanese Karate with its rigid blocks and linear style of fighting :nod:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

It is said there are over 1500 different martial arts in China so that narrows it down doesnt it? hehe

Karate did descend from Chinese forms of boxing/martial arts, however its very very different. Okinawa originally had its own form of fighting called 'te' or 'to te' which was mixed with Chinese arts somewhere around and after the 1600's when the Satsuma clan invaded Okinawa and banned all weapons.

The Chinese have a different philosophy in training methods, the Okinanawans have a different philosophy and the Japanese a different philosophy again.

Many schools in mainland Japan are different from Okinawa. I think modernization is a word some call it.

There are great similarities between Karate and Chinese arts and many differences. In many cases you would have to go technique by technique to examine this.

Soft? Some one mentioned soft. If Karate has a soft element its soft like a whip. And the hard is hard like a brick. The Chinese have this too.

Its a hard question because some Chinese schools have long straight punches and linear movements like Karate. If you can call it linear for they are really circular if you examine everything closely.

The forms or Kata a very different. Although one can see similar movements, the order of the movements and emphasis is different.

Some Chinese schools use light, flowery but quick movements. Karate, traditional Karate, emphasises power, speed and focus. However some Chinese schools also do this. One could go on and on. In the end it comes down to the personal preference of the school/teacher.

Getting a definitive difference from 1500 Chinese arts and 100's on Karate Schools would not be an easy task.

In every martial art, there are certain basic elements that must be maintained. A good stance, good timing, great speed, good endurance and so on.

If you are going to compare I think you need to compare exact schools rather than countries.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Sorry i made it so blunt of a topic, hmmmm....I guess i am kinda talking about soft styles and Hard style diferences.......Doesnt this guy look like he is amish???

:cowboy:<-------

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Didnt you know the Armish practise a lethal martial art that is top secret?

Why do you think they do so much barn-raising its part of their training

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Phantasmic,

Please be careful with that hat. WE all know that it's a cowboy hat. Go to the pictures disscussino in the introductions forums and read to find out why.

I practice okinawan arts and my style's name literally translates into hard soft so you really can't classify one region's maritial arts as hard or soft.

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

• 1 year later...