• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu as it relates to kung fu question

krunchyfrogg

I've been told that "Shorin" is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word "Shaolin," and that "Ryu" means "way."

Is this true? Does that mean that Shorin Ryu is actually Kung Fu? How do the two styles (assuming they're separate) compare?

TIA

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• 11 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I heard that too. the R sounds like an L. As for Ryu meaning way. Not too sure about that.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 2 weeks later...

Shorin-ryu is not Kung-fu. Shorin is in fact the same word as "Shaolin", but Shorin-ryu is actually a combination of Kung-fu and early techniques of Japanese "foot-fighting." Japanese travelers to China picked up the techniques of Kung-fu, and blended them. So, although not the same, it is the most similiar to Kung-fu of the other Japanese styles.

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

Kung fu is such a broad term. There are many styles of Chinese martial arts. Shorin-ryu karate-do resembles few of the popularly known kung fu systems such as tai chi chuan or hung gar or 7 star preying mantis.

Some of the southern Chinese systems can resemble karate however, notably Five Ancestor Fist. Most of what we know as karate today claim heritage from the Fukien province of China, so this is no coincidence.

I wouldn't say that shorin ryu is the closest to "kung fu" of the okinawan/japanese styles.

You have to take in account Goju, Euchi, and Ryuei/pangai noon; and many others.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=