• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotton black but I may get a silk one.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

This is what I've done (that I actually graded in):

Tang Soo Do - Chodan (1st Dan), 2013 - Midnight blue belt

Freestyle Karate - 2nd Dan, 2004 - Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - Shodan (1st Dan), 2002 - Black Belt

Ni-Sen Karate (based on Ticky Donovan’s Ishinryu karate) - 6th Kyu, 2006

GKR Karate - 8th Kyu, 2011

American Kickboxing - Red Belt (1st Belt), 2011

British Kickboxing - Yellow Belt (2nd Belt), 2003

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• 3 weeks later...
kyokushin - 4th kyu (green belt)

I'm not sure if I will pursue my shodan, since I struggle a lot with memorising the katas and I don't know if I could do the breaking (of multiple wooden boards or tiles) well.

Is breaking boards something you normally have to do to get a rank? White belt here, just beginning!

• 2 weeks later...

Goju Ryu = Sandan 2004

Shotokan = Nidan 2008

Kobudo = Shodan 2005

Arnis-Escrima = 1st Kyu 2010

Uechi Ryu = 2nd Kyu 2005

Kendo = 5th Kyu 2002

Kempo = 6th Kyu 2000

Wado-Ryu, Judo, Aikido, Brasilian Ju-Jutsu, Ving Tsun, Kickboxing = no graduation but at least 1/2 year training each.

I know it looks like a mess...but Goju Ryu is my core style (continuous since 1989), all others are supplemental to that journey.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

kyokushin - 4th kyu (green belt)

I'm not sure if I will pursue my shodan, since I struggle a lot with memorising the katas and I don't know if I could do the breaking (of multiple wooden boards or tiles) well.

Is breaking boards something you normally have to do to get a rank? White belt here, just beginning!

In some styles, breaking is a requirement that may start at the higher colored belt ranks, and continue into the dan ranks.

tselec- I had issues with 2 system katas that I was having trouble with leading up to my Shodan test last year. I began as a Shotokan white belt in 1989, quit training in 91, and started back in 2012. The Shotokan katas were like riding a bike. But my new style also incorporates Shorin Ryu katas along with multiple association specific katas. The Shorin Ryu ones were easy to pick up because they were very similar to Shotokans. But the association specific ones were more difficult because they incorporate a lot more moves and a lot more "unique" moves and angles than the normal katas. So I practiced for months every day until my muscle memory forced me to know them front and back. And I drilled the applications from the katas as often as I could (that works better for me than rote memorization).

As far as breaking, well, the only break I failed on was a spinning backfist with 2 knuckles. But I pulled back. I've broken boards with elbows, all kicks, punches, and knifehand strikes. My most recent was breaking 2 boards at a time with an elbow strike. Splintered it!

Don't worry about the breaking. I guarantee that if you do the technique right and aim for a spot 2 inches behind the board, you will go thru it like a knife thru warm butter. But if you don't have confidence in your katas, work on them until they feel natural. Make sure you know what the moves are used for.

For my Shodan test, while I was performing Naifanchi Shodan (Tekki Shodan), my sensei stood to my side with a board. On the first movement to the left (gedan barai and short punch to the left), I had to break a board with the short punch across my chest. And in the heat of the test, I didn't even feel the board because my technique was right!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.