• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking training that's really worked for me.

el_guitarrista

Hi,

Just wanted to share what has been a very useful training technique for me (especially since the problem I've been using it to correct seems one shared by lots of people!)

Put simply, leg raises!

Following some of the work from the book 'Stretching Scientifically' repeated here:

http://www.stadion.com/column.html

I've been doing leg raises (front and side) for about two months, and my kicking height and speed has increased amazingly! I realised by how much when sparring a few days ago, without thinking I just went for a backfist\roundhouse combination and the kick was perfect! Head height, fast, and I got landed quickly as well. Afterwards, the brown belt I was sparring said that my kicks were very impressive - though my setting them up with hand techniques was mostly poor :) Which left me feeling great, but still with a specific improvement goal.

In the same session I nearly scored from a roundhouse, turning back-kick combination that I'd been practicing, and it was just so nice to see hard-training come good in practice :D

So, if anyone doubts they can improve, really, don't give up. It's taken me months to get this far, but the small victories in that one session have given me masses of confidence and I real desire to train harder.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its glad to see people who look at problems and find solutions to them. Congrads!!

This is an area where I have experimented for years.

Today I have a specific system.

I have a contraption, for the want of a better word, that allows me to attach weights to my legs and weight train in the exact same movements of all the kicks.

The important thing to do for me was to be able to put my leg muscles, under load, in the exact same movements as my kicks. This ensures that the exact same muscle movements are employed, yet under load.

Basically I tie a rope around my ankle and foot and through a series of pulleys I am able to duplicate my kicks.

This really accelerated my kicks and gave me much greater strength and endurance. Not only did it effect my kicks, but it effected almost everything I do. It helps with running, footwork, stance, jumping and so on.

I do 3 sets of 10 reps for each kicking movement, using decreasing weights for each set. I am very careful to warm up and cool down properly. Doing lunges with weights is also part of my weight training programme.

Nothing will accelerate ones kicks better than a properly structured weight training programme.

Naturally, some are concerned about adding bulk to their legs and thus losing mobility. This will not happen if you use a properly designed weight training programme, tailored for what you do.

In fact I use this pulley/weight contraption for many things. It enables me to do oi zuki under load as well as all punching and striking techniques.

I have designed it so that I can pretty much do all the basics, under load, duplicating exact karate movements.

To me it’s dynamic. But be careful as you start such a programme. If your body is not used to it; you can be sore and drained of energy for days. Start slowly and gradually build up. In time you will reap great rewards and others will soon wonder where your added strength, agility and endurance comes from.

At least twice a week for this kind of programme is best in my opinion.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing