• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

San Soo against other arts...

IMO, that's bad. I see a problem with any art that you cannot effectively spar with. This is why various TMA were defeaated at various times in histroy, be it back in the day with kano's judo guys vs. jj guys, or 10 years ago, when TMA were trying their hand in MMA. Everybody claims to be brutal, and theoretically, I'm sure it is. Eye gouges hurt. kicks to the front of the knee hurt. liver punches hurt. pressure points hurt.

The problem comes when you apply these against resistance, if you've never done it before - it can pose a problem for some, In addition to other issues, like knowing how to take a punch in the event that you DO get hit. It's not a give and take issue. a thai boxer doesn't WANT to give and take. but duting the course of a fight, that can happen. And he's ready for that. It's really just two different schools of thought. I tend to align more against the "too deadly to spar" school of thought, however.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... in order fully emphasize a totally sound response (at least in this situation) I must ask you what you mean as sparring. Do you mean sparring as in like 1 step sparring where somone would throw you a pinch or kick, hammer, chop, grab, etc.... and you would just counter it and take him down. Or do you mean free sparring where the fight goes on until someone goes down.

Im my Swoon, there is free sparrin with such sorts except it is sort of watered down. If you gouge his eyes out, dont really gouge the eyes, If you break the arm, dont hit it hard and break it, dont really break his neck - let go before he falls down and etc... You may find this contorversial (to san soo practitioners and many others) especially depending on your background, in this art or any other style.

We also have the one step sparring where we just practice the specific technique we were taught, and sparring where we throw eachother combinations that we need to block (in the first attack, second, or third, depending if your quick enough, If you never block the other may stop or keep going, but in this type of sparring, not free' , one person is the attacker and the other the defender) ranging from 1- whatever number, of kicks, punches or any mix.

I myself have ben taught by 2 first generation masters (students of Chin Lo Si Fu, or Jimmy Woo as he is commonly called) and 2 second generation masters. Masters meaning thery have obtained the highest level in the Art of San Soo.

I have also found many similarities with san soo and other arts, naming specifically, the styles found in Kung Fu.

And to answer the post, yes, I have proven myself in many fights. Explaining why, Im the only white kid in a primarily mexican poor neighborhood.

sorry if this was kinda run on, lots of SP errors, and doesnt make much sense, but hey, what more can you expect from a thirteen year old.

"Man who stands on toilet, is high on pot."

I myself have ben taught by 2 first generation masters (students of Chin Lo Si Fu, or Jimmy Woo as he is commonly called) and 2 second generation masters.

..what more can you expect from a thirteen year old.

ehhh .. a bit fishy-smelling here, eh?

that is, being taught by jimmy woo and all.

you must be a pretty old 13 year old=]

Im my Swoon, there is free sparrin with such sorts except it is sort of watered down. If you gouge his eyes out, dont really gouge the eyes, If you break the arm, dont hit it hard and break it, dont really break his neck - let go before he falls down and etc... You may find this contorversial (to san soo practitioners and many others) especially depending on your background, in this art or any other style.

Yes we do free workouts as well as one step sparring in a sense, but what I'm reffering to is Full-contact put pads on and jump around the place sparring... This is where a San Soo practitioner can not use his/her full ability. In san soo you learn psychology, you know when you gouge an eye or kick a groin, there will be a certain reaction that will open up another target or shift balance in your opponent. This is a crucial part to any true martial art. Full contact completely throws this aspect out...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

sparring is only part of an art, everything that I have seen has breaks, throws, sweeps, eyes gouge, groin shots, these things are taught as self defense in most schools. Sparring helps in your cardio, distance, timming, footwork and so on.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

• 4 weeks later...

You San Soo guys seem to be saying that you can't use your art for anything other than practically fatal full contact fighting. How do you practise anything or learn timing or distance judgement, put yourselves under pressure to see what goes wrong and where?

What does a typical San Soo class consist of?

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

You San Soo guys seem to be saying that you can't use your art for anything other than practically fatal full contact fighting. How do you practise anything or learn timing or distance judgement, put yourselves under pressure to see what goes wrong and where?

What does a typical San Soo class consist of?

you learn timing by practicing your "moves" on an opponent who "reacts" at varying speeds -- although, not actually making contact (or just barely).

concerning distance training, a great deal of our lessons is taught by "approaching" our opponents at different angles and varying distances and at the same time, performing a move.

• 1 month later...