• No.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we have it in Matsumura Seito and in Shuri-ryu. I think we use it because it looks cool. I can't imagine it being useful as a static or even as a transitory stance. The only remote posibility I can muster is if somebody is striking to the outside of your knee, you might sink into a cat stance so that the impact is met at the back of the knee, and your weight is supported by the back foot.

If you can provide real application to this stance, it would be greatly appreciated.

My goodness. Maybe I'll start a thread on that later. Trust me, it has plenty of uses.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

We use it shindo jenin ryu too, I noticed jap. styles have changed the Neko ashi dachi to Kekutsu dachi or zenkutsu dachi in many forms, all the starting cat stances in pinan have changed to kekutsu dachi (in Heian series) and in Bassai dai to zenkutsu dachi.

Kyokushinkai uses Neko-Ashi-Dachi as a stance throughout kata and kihon.

I love cat stance.

I dont think many kicks come close to the speed of a front leg mae-geri from neko-ashi

BTW, In Kyokushin, we also use Kokutsu-Dachi, which looks quite the same as Neko-Ashi, but has different wieght proportions on each leg.

Although, our Kata still contain both of these stances.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Because most (if not all) of your weight is put on the back foot, you can throw kicks faster.

And be pushed over easier, too. Standing on one foot while somebody is hitting or pushing you with force is generally a bad idea.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Yes, we have it in Matsumura Seito and in Shuri-ryu. I think we use it because it looks cool. I can't imagine it being useful as a static or even as a transitory stance. The only remote posibility I can muster is if somebody is striking to the outside of your knee, you might sink into a cat stance so that the impact is met at the back of the knee, and your weight is supported by the back foot.

If you can provide real application to this stance, it would be greatly appreciated.

My goodness. Maybe I'll start a thread on that later. Trust me, it has plenty of uses.

Well, the Matsumura Seito that I've learned, the cat stance is more of a transition movement than an actual stance. And yes, it definitely has its uses! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

That would be most excellent. Like I said, I am simply unaware of good applications to the cat stance. I'm certain there are many. That being said I do remember one application I learned a couple of years back while visiting another Matsumura Seito school. The cat stance was used as sort of a pivot while delivering two alternating strikes, one with the left then followed by the right. The pivot enabled the strikes to be more powerful due to the body rotation. It was a close-proximity (inside) technique as the attacker was no more than twelve inches from the defender. It works great against a bag, but my fear is that if the person simply stepped into you, then it would knock you off center.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Uechi-ryu has neko ashi dachi in Seichin, Seiryu, Kanchin and Sanseiryu kata. The movement is allways combined with wauke (mawashi-uke) or sukui-uke.

For me it's a great fighting stance since you can throw kicks with the leading leg that has no weight on it.

hara wo neru