Neko Ashi Dachi (Cat Stance) Roll Call

Shorin Ryuu

Do you have a neko ashi dachi?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a neko ashi dachi?

• Yes, as a stance.
    • Yes, but not an "official" stance.
    • No.

I'm just curious academically to see which styles have neko ashi dachi as a sort of "fixed stance", those that have it only as a transitory movement or those that don't have it all.

I'm fully aware of the transitory nature of all stances, so please do not "enlighten" me on that...

I'm actually more interested in style name and your response rather than a numerical poll. Obviously someone that does pankration wouldn't have it or people in the same style would both have it, thus throwing off the numbers...

My system (Shorin Ryu Shorinkan) has neko ashi dachi in many of our kata. I've trained for a year in Kenshin Kan Matsumura Shorin Ryu and I noticed they did not have it as an "official" stance and only as a transition.

Once again, I'm fully aware of the transitory nature of stances in general. The Japanese obssession with "a count" and static stances really played a big role in how most people see stances today.

I look forward to your responses.

Edited by Shorin Ryuu

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Isshin-Ryu Karate has a cat stance. We actually use it fairly often in kata.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yes Okinawan Kenpo (Nakimura Shigero line) does officially have cat stances as does Okinawan Goju-Ryu.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Yes, we have it in Matsumura Seito and in Shuri-ryu. I think we use it because it looks cool. I can't imagine it being useful as a static or even as a transitory stance. The only remote posibility I can muster is if somebody is striking to the outside of your knee, you might sink into a cat stance so that the impact is met at the back of the knee, and your weight is supported by the back foot.

If you can provide real application to this stance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by smr

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Yes we have it in my style shotokan traditionel karate,but itis only used in black belt kata,the basi kata are done with kokutsu dashi(back stance) :karate: :karate: :karate:

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

We definitely have it in Shotokan. It is used, in fact, in our very first kata, Heian Shodan. It's the fourth move in the series of movements.

One of my favourite stances! :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."