• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

McDojo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know how the phrase came to pass, probably something to do with McNuggets pretending to be something to do with chicken and McDojos pretending to be something to do with martial arts...or McDonalds taking your money and giving you junk?

But anyway, it just means a very poor Dojo, the kind that take thousands of dollars from their students and dishes out black belts regardless of talent.

[Edit] Thread about McDojos

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

It's a belt factory. You don't really learn anything from them, they just keep promoting people because it pays ($$$) to do so. People don't really want to work toward things, they want to be able to coast through and take the easy way out. A McDojo allows them to say they are a black belt without having to put in the real work to become one. A lot of people who are in this situation however, don't necessarily realize it.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

It's because they hand out fries with their black belts... ;)

It's also to do with the fact that you get what you want quickly at a McDonalds - the same with a McDojo. You get what you want (a Black belt) in a very short space of time, especially when compared to the time-frame at MA clubs that teach martial arts correctly.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Wow. I wasn't 100% sure what a McDojo was, but thanks to you guys, things are so much clearer. :)

Hey, aefibird, just how short a span of time are we talking here? Let's say it takes between 4-6 years to earn a black belt. How many in a McDojo?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Some people get extra value meals at their mcdojo!

I thought that's why they invented "Black Belt Clubs" and "Masters Clubs"...

Imagine, "We guarantee you too can be a black belt in just two years, for the low, low introductory rate of $2500.00 (payable in monthly installments at 18% with approved credit of course...)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."