• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your religion effect your martial arts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion has never had any effect (at least detrimental, I suppose..) on my training. I have never seen nothing problematic with being Christian and training in a martial art. My entire family also supports me 100%, and thinks it's great I have something to get involved with here on campus.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

• 2 months later...

I think religion can have some something to do with Ma, being many martial art styles are centered around a certain religion, but not necessary. I think religion based MA use their religion to calm the body and create a strong inner focus, I believe these things can be achieved without religion.

Do not try to better someone else, instead, better your former self.

I have never had a conflict with religion and martial arts. At the most, martial arts (and by this I mean traditional martial arts or "Do" arts) teaches you to be a better person to yourself and society. Unless you are practicing with a cult, I can't think of any arts that try to come off as religion. The ones that delve deeper into Oriental philosophy tend to not be as widespread in this country.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

A friend of mine has had a lot of conflist between herself and her church. She is a Taekwondo practitioner and is the assistant instructor for her club. She is also actively involved with her church and works a lot in the Sunday School there. There has been a lot of bad feeling in her church about her doing TKD as they feel that is is not something from God. They also feel that she is leading the children in the Sunday School astray because of her involvement with MA.

Recently, there has been a lot of argument between her and the Elders of her church, and they have now asked her to choose between TKD and the Church. This is a very difficult decision for her to make - she doesn't want to give up TKD but she doesn't want to have to leave that church either.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Any church or religion that forced me to choose between them and martial arts would make the decision easy.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"