• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your religion effect your martial arts?

Hasn't affected me at all. If anything it has helped! God created everything and if there is anything bad or unmoral it's because we tamper and change things. God's is love and is perfect.

Living like Christ is a great way to be able to maintain peace in training.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Catholic and my sensei is Jewish, just like the majority of the students that go to our dojo. There is another student there, a little boy (who I haven't seen in a while, actually), who is Muslim.

As you can see, we all don't consider our religions to affect our training. In fact, I pray during our moments of meditation for a good class every time. I consider MA to be a gift. From whom... well, only God knows. :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I'm a Christian, right now my faith has little to no meaning in my training, but I definately see potential as in every other art there is...

I plan to explore that once my form is stronger and I have a better sense of my art...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I am a Christian and feel MA and Christianity is unrelated.

There are some legalistic fundamentalist pacifists who claim MA is wrong and in some cases "of the devil" but obviously they dont understand the Bible.

In the old testament military service was compulsory for the Israelites.

Deuteronomy 20:4 For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."

Isaiah 13:4 Listen, a noise on the mountains, like that of a great multitude! Listen, an uproar among the kingdoms, like nations massing together! The LORD Almighty is mustering an army for war.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I am surprised to see so many people say their religion does not affect their martial arts. I would find it impossible to adopt a philosophy or religion that did NOT affect such an important part of my life as my martial arts training. Why would you follow a religion that did not tell you how to live??

I think maybe you fail to realize a little something,my I'll use tha word "religion"does tell me how to live,but it goes much deeper than religion or philosophy or martial arts,For me it boils down to being blood bought,and doing everything I do unto him.When I say MA training does not effect my "religion" It means that it dosen't effect my walk with christ.

PSALMS 144:1

Blessed be the Lord my Rock,who trains my hands for war,and my fingers for battle.

ISAIAH 53:5

There are many people are of various religions who practice in our dojo.

Everyone has their own way of co existing with their own personal beliefs and what is being taught.

For example:

There are a few Orthodox Jews who will kneel down during seiza but will not bow due to their religious beliefs. But when we are standing face to face they will bow to another person face to face on an equal level. The same with the Muslims who train with us.

There have been may times where the muslim students bowed out for a few min and went in the privacy back room for one of their required daily prayers then just simply bowed in and continued the class.

A few of the religious women wear a head covering while training (safely tucked in of course). A few of the men wear Yarmulkes(SP?).

There are some who will not partner up with the opposite sex. MA are for all and no one has to do what is against their beliefs.

Most Dojos will accomodate and respect the beliefs and practices of their students. If many places in the world would emulate the respect and coexistence of our diverse beliefs and practices like we do in the Dojo, the world would truley be a better place.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.