• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your religion effect your martial arts?

i was just wondering how your religion effects your training in martial arts i know my religion (theravada buddihism) has had a profound effect on my training and the way i look on martial arts. and i was curious on how each individuals religion effects there training. :karate:

Fist visible Strike invisible

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what religion has got to do with MA. I'm a practicing catholic and find my religion has absolutely nothing to do with my MA. Can someone explain why it would? I mean, would it affect you if you practiced football, tennis, running, boxing or any other sport or pastime?

Excuse my igonorance on this subject

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

Though my family is catholic and I was raised in its traditions, it never took hold with me...even at an early age. Rather, in answer to your question Muaythai, studying the martial arts have affected my sense of spirituality and have aided me in the choosing of a spiritual path.

Kev: for some people it may make a difference, for others it may not. I would recommend reading many of the other threads on this concept for an idea of what others have said, or wait, maybe an interesting discussion will be sparked here in this thread...I certainly hope so.

Good question Muaythaiboxer....

Sunrunner

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

Buddhism is different from Western Religion because it's practice is based on developing strong single pointed concentration. Theravadan buddhism also puts great emphasis on gaining insight(seeing things as they really are, not polluted by mental attitudes) so that the techniques developed in sharpening concentration and developing insight can also be turned to martial arts technique...or any other physical or mental activity. The common method to gain single pointed concentration is to concentrate on one's breath alone until the mind becomes expert at holding that concentration. Knowledge of the breath is also an essential of the martial arts. So in these ways buddhist meditation or any other mindfulness exercise is a tangible and practical help to one's martial arts.

I don't understand what religion has got to do with MA. I'm a practicing catholic and find my religion has absolutely nothing to do with my MA. Can someone explain why it would? I mean, would it affect you if you practiced football, tennis, running, boxing or any other sport or pastime?

Excuse my igonorance on this subject

The problem some people run into is their religion's strict policy on non-violence. And, even though most MAs promote control and self-defence only, the interpretation they have of their religion contradicts the teachings of the MAs.

Others are practicing both a religion and a martial art who's roots are intertwined. For these practitioners, a lot of the meditations, teachings, etc. are going to be similar in both their art and their religion.

Therefore, you have already answered the question, yours hasn't affected your training at all. Mine has not affected my training either.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

One thing that can effect a person is their religions position of non violence.

I am an evangelical Christian. I have no problems with martial arts and those who practice them. Personally I would not be involved with any martial arts that use practices that smack of eastern religion....such as arts that encourage a person to channel "chi" energy or required eastern styled meditation. If an art made meditation optional and also allowed prayer and personal reflection in place of eastern meditation, then I would have no problems.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.