• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head of Isshin-Ryu Karate

isshinryu5toforever

Shinsho Shimabuku, Kichiro Shimabuku, and Angi Uezu have all been endorsed as the one that Shimabuku passed the torch to. Anyone care to take a stab at who it is? Becuase, I have no real clue. I know that master Advincula supports Shinsho Shimabuku. This would make sense, because although he is the second son of Master Tatsuo Shimabuku, he achieved his black belt before Master Kichiro Shimabuku. I have heard stories of both Master Angi Uezu and Master Kichiro Shimabuku being told that they were to be the head of the style. I have heard many good things about Angi Uezu and many not so good things about Kichiro, however without actually training with either one, I can't make any judgements. So, anyone have an answerto the wo is the head of Isshin-Ryu question?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oh boy, did you open a can of worms! This is what they teach at my dojo. (& you will likely get three different stories from three different dojos) Kichiro Shimabuku is the "Official" head of the style. Master Angi Uezu was supposed to inherit the title (due to being a superior student to Master Shimabuku's own 2 sons) While Master Shimabuku was on his deathbed, Kichiro found out he wasn't going to inherit the style and was livid. (being Master Shimabuku's oldest son, he felt it was his inheritance and that his brother-in-law had no right to it) In order to appease his son, Master Shimabuku finally ceeded to his son's demands and Kichiro was made 10th Dan. Master Uezu, after finding this out, dutifully and honorably stood down and acknowleged his brother-in-law as the legitimate hier to Isshinryu. Shortly thereafter Master Uezu, unhappy with how the style was being run, broke off and formed his own organization, the O.I.K.K.A. Like I said earlier, you'll get a different story from just about every dojo, depending on what organization they affiliate themselves with. Hope this helps.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

I had heard the death bed story before. Of the three I have heard that the order as far as best on down would be Uezu, Shinsho Shimabuku, then Kichiro. I'm not sure who endorses who anymore. I wonder which assosiation endorses whom. Because as I said before Master Advincula endorses Shinsho. I know a few people endorse Uezu and likewise with Kichiro. Anyone here practice Long-Shimabuku Isshin-Ryu or come directly from Mitchum, Armstrong, or Nagle. I'm not trying to begin a major argument I just want to know who endorses who.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

The karate they teach is basically the same. The same 8 empty hand katas, the same weapons katas, same basics, same karate code and creed. The only things that are different are the people they endorse as the head of the style, and they may have possibly created their own code for their branch.

- Tao Te Ching

The problem with the Long, Mitchum, Armstrong, Nagle thing is that they learned from Master Shimabuku While they were on their tours of duty in Okinawa (3 to 4 years at the most). They learned what they could and left. Master Uezu, on the other hand learned what they did and more, because he was alongside Master Shimabuku up until the very end. Any changes/additions that Master Shimabuku might have made to the style, the Americans most likely did not pick up on.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

The American Marines learned different forms of Isshin-Ryu as well. Master Shimabuku changed Isshin-Ryu depending on the week. You can see in some of the films how his punch drifts more toward a 45 than verticle. My question is about the three who were there with him til the end. His two sons and Angi Uezu. I have heard great things about Uezu, not so great things about Kichiro, and just a few things about Shinsho. I was wondering who should be the man amongst those three. From what I have heard, Shinsho has been a black belt longer, Kichiro is older, but Uezu is the best practitioner. Very confusing situation, and I bet the family get togethers are very fun.

- Tao Te Ching

I do not know anything about these political things but I thought Tsuyoshi Uechi (most likely spelled incorrectly)was head of Isshinryu in the Rengokai.

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

• 3 months later...

Having the privilege to train one on one with Master Uezu and Uechi Sensei for six years in Okinawa I have to say the amount of knowledge and precise applications that Uezu has are by far superior to both Master Shimabukoro sons. Let me clarify some things for you all. Sensei Uechi is now the head representative for OIKKA under Master Uezu. Since Uezu stroke, he has not the abilities to run neither his dojo nor the organization. It is still deeply imbedded in his soul and that love will NEVER diminish. Master Uezu's love for the art and his mentor surpass anyone I have ever meet, and I have meet them all. Each one of the posting hits on truths and yes there is a great deal of politics. Master Uezu primarily love is karate and never wanted to go against the grain. For this reason he allowed Kichiro to head up Isshinryu. That lasted when Kichiro business prevailed over the true teachings. In fact, Kichiro was only a Yon-Dan before taking over the helm. Not much is discussed with the younger son in this matter. For family matter he has not spoken to Kichiro for some time now unless truly had too i.e.: funerals, est... I can write and write on this matter but the man born to a Samurai family has deeply changed my life. Thank you Master Uezu.

I am unsure who the true leader of Isshin-ryu Karate is today. If I were to speculate, I would assume the torch was originally passed to Master Uezu. Nevertheless, as an Isshin-ryu Karate practicioner, I find the political fragmentation at the organizational levels to be a poor example of Karate-Do.

In my opinion, Isshin-ryu Karate would be more popular within the martial community if it functioned as one cohesive entity with standardization in katas and other techniques (i.e., Shotokan Karate). Heck, some dojos are still taught to punch with a horizonal fist. :roll:

As the Bible states, a house divided against itself cannot stand. This seems to the most prevalent hinderance of the growth of Isshin-ryu Karate, which I find to be a terrific self-defense system. It's a shame that two of the three current leaders are possible charlatans that care more about pride, money, etc.

The key word is possible. Who knows? Master Shimabuku was known to constantly change things. He could have privately passed the torch to all three of them in an effort to please everyone. :lol:

Ted