• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

street clothes

I don't see what's so bad about that getup. Shorts and tanks are easy to kick/punch in. Kick off the sandals and fight barefoot like in the dojo. What would really be hard is fighting in a tux, or even worse -- a strapless evening gown with heels. Ha. That's why I always wear flats and dresses with straps and full skirts. :P
Funny that you say that because that is what I was thinking after I made my post :D

I'm only going to ask you once...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick off the sandals and fight barefoot like in the dojo.

Ow. I don't train barefoot myself, and the idea of trying to spin on rough concrete and gravel barefoot makes me wince.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 weeks later...

i think that is a great idea. i usually spar formally in my gi, but my friends and i do mock fights in street clothes at school all the time. it is quite a bit different trying to kick in normal pants than in gi pants.

its also a lot harder with a backpack on :wink:

Destroy all that is evil, so that all that is good may flourish.

• 2 weeks later...

u should try it, but not everyday.

most chinese arts dont train to fight, but for the art in it.

Maybe you could just get together with some of the people who train with you and try it one day to see how it goes.

you will see how you will change the way you dress from then on so you wont be helpless in a real self-defense situation.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

most people dont just wear tank tops and shorts. or pants with belts that would allow them to kick right.

if you're in self-defense, you have to be aware that certain clothes are a handicap in a real fight.

You know, I think everyone is on to something here. Learning to fight in different enviornments and the proper attire for those enviornments is a seriously neglected portion of self defense training. That said, I think I'll be going to the dojo in a speedo tonight :D

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

this definitely applies to people who do martial arts that require flexibility for some techniques.... so things like copeira, tkd, etc. Your clothes limit your techniques. so i think its a great idea to practice in your normal clothes.

i think it pretty much applies to all martial arts - if you get tangled with your pants because theyre too big or, in the case of women, are on high heels- it is pretty hard to fight when you use clothes like that, no matter what style you practice.