• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

street clothes

What do you guys think of this idea.

I was thinking of talking to my sifu about this. When we spar i think it would be more effective to spar with street clothes on.

What do you guys think? Do any of you guys do this at your school?

The right to keep and bear Arms.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how we mostly train. We all go from work to the dojo and rarely have time to change, so we train in our work clothes. Jeans, t-shirt, sneakers, everyday clothes. I think it's smart. The Gi is basically what people wore back in the day. It's kind of strange how most dojos wear a Gi and no shoes when they train, but if you ever get into a situation you probably won't have time to put your Gi on.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I find most clubs get downright offended if you try to wear shoes into the training area. I've seen places that always have you wear shoes and their mats are still in perfect condition, so I don't know why so many clubs are so against street clothes. However, if your club is against it, you can always train in street clothes at home. You guys are right - it's a great idea and should be the norm. I do think that using street clothes every day if you do grappling or throwing might not be a good idea, since you'll quickly ruin all of your shirts thanks to the guys who can't seem to shake that grab-the-gi mentality.

I find training in street clothes makes me more likely to train when I have a few spare minutes and am wearing normal clothes. The normal clothes start to carry that feeling of, "hey. I should be training right now." Like how you are more likely to throw some extra punches if you are wearing a gi for some reason around the house.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 1 month later...

I have done this in a couple Dojos and loved it..

I thought it really showed some reality

We also do season training

where each season we do the real clothes training

for example

winter: heavy jackets, gloves and such (very hot very quick,, yikes)

summer: shorts and sandles

Its pretty cool to see how your enviorment changes things

you learn alot when you do things like this,, i even changed the clothes i buy a little due to what i learned in the training..

we even went as far as to train outside on occassion

this was done to show how fancy kicks and other tricky moves can be useless on gravel and wet grass

we were always warned to wear clothes you dont care about, as there was many tears and even some blood from time to time..

Its all about the Chiflow

I think it's smart. The Gi is basically what people wore back in the day. It's kind of strange how most dojos wear a Gi and no shoes when they train, but if you ever get into a situation you probably won't have time to put your Gi on.

What? You don't wear your gi under your street clothes like Superman does with his costume? :o

*tsk*

...darn kids these days. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"