ShotokanKid

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JEM618, for some odd reason my computer does not have Japanese on the "Add" list. I'll continue to look for the disk, but do you have any other suggestions in the event that I can't find it?

OK, let's see if we can figure it out.

1. The OS is Windows 2000 or XP, right?

2. In a previous post, I mentioned doing 'Install files for East Asian languages' first. You have to do that first, then add Japanese. The support for East Asian languages is 240MB and is not installed by default, as most wouldn't use it. If you try to add Japanese before installing the support files, Japanese, or any other East Asian language will not be listed in the choices.

So, at some point, when you tried to add support, Windows should have told you to 'Insert Disk Labeled Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Professional'. If that didn’t happen, support was not installed.

Here is a Web site with screen shots to walk you through it.

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

Here’s another:

http://seba.studentenweb.org/thesis/howto-winxp.php

3. Did you build the computer yourself, i.e., install the OS yourself? Do you have a Windows XP (or Windows 2000) OS disk; either the full version or an upgrade? Or is it a brand name machine like Dell or Gateway that came with the OS pre-installed? If it's a brand name computer, you probably did not receive a Windows XP (or Windows 2000) disk. What you probably got was a 'recovery disk' or hidden partition on the HDD with Windows XP (or Windows 2000) mixed in with the manufacturer's applications and drivers. Not to worry though, from what I can recall, those files are somewhere on the recovery disk or the hidden partition and can be installed.

If this is the case, let me know and I will dig up the answer on the Windosw Newsgroups.

(Sorry to interupt your conversation about whatever you were doing on a PC.) :argue:

I can speak some Japanese but I am still learning.

Also can anyone tell me what Mee Mei means in chinese, is it food?

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

For anyone who knows anything about names in Japanese,could ya tell me what Johnny and Amanda would be,thanks alot in advance.

Not sure what you are asking for. As far as names go, English names don't 'translate' into Japanese the same way Japanese names translate into English*.

So there is not 'translation', only a conversion to katakana script which changes the 'English pronunciation' of the name closer to 'Japanese pronunciation' and makes it easier for a Japanese to read, opposed to reading the name in Roman letters.

So, Johnny is

ジョニー

And Amanda is

アマンダ

* Japanese names all have meaning based on the kanji they are written in.

高橋 = takahashi

高 = high

橋 = bridge

Mr. Takahashi = Mr. Highbrige

松田 =matsuda

松 = pine

田 = field

Mr. Matsuda = Mr. Pinefield

same goes for chinese.

just saying "mee mei" is useless.

give me the characters and i can tell you what it is.

incidentally, in chinese when we 'read' japanese names we use the chinese versions of the kanji.

so for the name given above we would use:

"go kiu sin san" ('go'=high, 'kiu'=bridge, 'sin san'=Mr)

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

It was me who was asking for 'Mee Mei', I don't have any Japanese or Chinese characters on my computer, I will have to get some software upgrade from somewhere.

So if all I can tell you is 'Mee Mei' then you can't help me?

The cool summer breeze passes me by.