• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anybody speak Japanese in here?

ShotokanKid

I was born in Kyoto and moved to U.S. when I was young. I speak Japanese though I have been forgetting because I do not spend a lot of time there. Everyone in my immediate family speaks Japanese.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I speak it somewhat. I took 6 semesters of it in college. Strangely enough, I can read it much better than I can speak it thanks to a most excellent kanji learning book I found.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I'm in the process of learning it, but I don't have enough actual vocabulary to speak the language well yet. I can tell when a word is a verb or adjective, however.

As for reading it, I'm a bit stuck in that department. I can read Hiragana and Katakana just fine, but of couse, Kanji is where I'm stuck.

But hey, if anyone on this site actually knows it well, I'm always looking for someone to help me out. ;)

Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig. I've only done the first book and some of the second, but this is the best method to learn the kanji that I've ever seen or heard of. Definately worth a try if you're stuck in a rut learning Japanese because you can't read...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately no...but I am sincerely interested in learning. Hoperfully I'll pick up some book soon and have time to study them. Maybe I can find some courses when I go off to college...

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

JEM618, where did you get that font/program/whatever it is that allows you to write in Hiragana/Kanji, etc?

To add the ability to type in Japanese on your computer, do the following. Please do the steps in order.

For Windows 2000 or XP

1. Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > Supplemental Language Support > tick 'Install files for East Asian languages'.

(You may need the Windows 2000 or XP disk to do this. If you have a brand name computer and do not have the Windows 2000 or XP disk, it's possible but a bit more complicated.)

2. Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > Text services and input languages > Details > Add > Add ‘Japanese’ > Apply

Can’t remember if you have to reboot for settings to change, but if everything works, you’ll see a little ‘EN’ on the task bar. Clicking on it you will then see ‘JP’ for Japanese. Selecting 'JP' will give you several choices for input, hiragana, katakana, direct input, etc.

For Windows 98

Go to the Windows 98 update site, scan for updates, and download language support for Japanese. After the update, you will be able to view web pages and documents and input Japanese text.

HTH

Post back if you have a problem.