• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

straight punches or kicks.

In my last class last week i saw an effective way to tackle punches. it went like

right punch comes in, you duck, right hand grabs back of their neck left hand grabs tricep and follow with some knees into the stomach. That make sense. Othe JKD people might know this move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sorry if i may interpreted wrong.

by slap i mean redirecting energy out of your face and quickly countering.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

Move out of the way and hit at the same time.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

or just strike over his incoming hit.

no need to move or block/parry.

hmm, you could move into him as you do the strike.

depending on how you punch, there should be some trapping occuring as your elbow moves into place.

of course this is just words, in practice nothing is ever so simple.

i mean, how many people only throw ONE punch for you to respond to?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Move out of the way and hit at the same time.

I agree. Moving out of the way just enough to avoid the hit while parrying/blocking/grabbing and striking at the same time is the best thing to do. Moving out of the way for the obvious reasons. Getting in contact with his body for control purposes. And striking, well, that's obvious. Strike/grab and throw/takedown.

But moving out of the way is the best thing to do. If everything else fails, at least you're not there to get hit.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I think slapping the punches away can be very effective, but you have to keep the blocking movement as small as possible. As a few people alluded to here, if the block is the slightest bit exaggerated, the opponent is going to fake that straight punch and catch you in the opening with something else, like a hook punch. That been said, I definitely agree that getting out of the way (slipping) and striking at the same time is the best strategy. With the right instruction it can be a lot easier than it looks, but unfortunately very few instructors ever teach that strategy seriously and regularly. Even a lot of boxing gyms avoid it and expect you to learn it on your own.

If you go to https://www.intellifight.com , there is an entire book there on slipping. It's not free, but you can cheat and look at the free sample pages. At the very least it'll give you some ideas to work with.

As for blocking straight kicks, it can be risky to commit yourself so much as to grab the leg. An advanced opponent will exploit the opening you create by changing to a different kick. Of course, not all opponents are advanced, so grabbing the leg and sweeping still has its place. :wink:

I know I've had a lot of success turning a front kick into a roundhouse kick (Savate) or a roundhouse kick into a hook kick. You have to be sure you can get away with high kicks against your opponent first though. Anyone else have success with this kind of strategy?

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!