• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Regrets

I would add that I wish I would have started younger, but under my situation (lack of funds on my parents and mine), I really couldn't have. So it wasn't ment to be till the age of 24 (when I had a good job of my own to start MA).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm way too young for regrets, but if I had to admit one I would say not being mature enough to accept correction. I got frustrated really easy in my early days and that really hampered my progress for a while (not just the normal frustration that comes with learning something new and not getting the hang of it at first...the super-ticked-off-"f*** you"-mad-at-everyone-and- the-world kind of frustration).

Not knowing about the really awesome 7th dan 80 miles away for 3.5 out of the 4 years we were in school wasn't something in my or Shorin Ryuu's control, so I really can't call that a regret. In light of careful thought and my knowledge of organizational politics, I'd call that something else....(Shorin know's what I 'm talking about :dodgy: )

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

My biggest regret was having to close my dojo due to a hellacious divorce.......but theres always the future.....and another opportunity ahead ! :D

They cant hold a good man down for long ! :wink:

If there is any way possible Jules you should DEFINITELY open up another dojo!!!

My biggest regret is that I didnt stick with karate for those first few months because I got intimdated and upset with myself and performance as a beginner. But now...its on like popcorn! :D :kaioken:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

I too regret leaving my home TKD school...but my journey has taken a different path that is as unique as the first one was. I hold many fond memories among the pangs of loss, and someday I may feel the same about my current school...so for now I look to the future.

As far as other regrets, this is a g-rated forum so I'll pass!

8)

Hehehehehehe I have to agree with you there. I was at one place that I don't regret to the point that I did learn a few things, but the master instructor ..... um ..... well, like you said, this is a G-rated forum LOL. I shouldn't have left this school in the first place (my first NY school).

When I moved here to NY, the one thing I do regret is being what I call a "Dojang jumper."

Laurie F

Not starting sooner as i've always been so impressed with people who could do MA but never thought it possible myself.

I'm quite lucky though, my 1st and only dojo is amazing. The instructor has done this for so long and does it for the love of karate, not for the money, and most of the dan grades have been there for years :D

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

Here's a question: How many people have "dojo-hopped" and ho many dojos did it take till ya found what you were looking for in the MA?

I kinda answered this on my last post, but I'll give a better one here. In NJ, I looked around a bit before I found my TSD school. I just fell in love with the school, not just the style.

When I moved to NY, I did a bit of "hopping." I joined this school first (after looking around a bit). I quit after a year. I thought it was too "sport" at the time. I did take judo for a short time while in this school. I went to another TKD school. Their curriculum was great (mixed Judo with it), but the instructor .... well, I'll just say that he was full of himself. And if I put one of my green belts up against one of their BB's the BB would get creamed! When I was grappling against a BB as a blue belt and choked her out, I knew I had to go LOL.

I came back here to this school. The curriculum changed. Less sport, more self defense related training. Great workouts.

I'm still looking to cross-train. I looked at a few places. But the problem is, in this area anyways, it's McDojo-ville LOL.

Laurie F

Not starting sooner as i've always been so impressed with people who could do MA but never thought it possible myself.

I'm quite lucky though, my 1st and only dojo is amazing. The instructor has done this for so long and does it for the love of karate, not for the money, and most of the dan grades have been there for years :D

Ditto, Kev! Although I've only been practicing karate for 4 months, I know this dojo is amazing. I like what I see!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."