Shorinryu Sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*groan*..I just typed out a HUGE post on here, then accidently bumped my back button on my mouse and lost it all....soooo...here I go again!

The majority of the responses I'm getting on the forum, PM or via email are people telling me that they will come if we have this "gathering of friends" in their home town. Well, unless we do a travelling road show...I can't see that happening. I am however, getting some interest..which I'm glad to see..from people that are willing to travel to my location in the wilds of Northwestern Montana.

So, with that in mind, I am officially offering my services to sponser the first "Gathering of Friends 2005" (hey, this might be a yearly thing!) in Kalispell, Montana (where the heck is that???).

Now, some of you, particularity those from larger cities like San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, etc, might be a bit shy about wanting to come to such a "remote" corner of the world, and I can understand that. But hey, we do have indoor plumbing here, electricity, cars/trucks, cell phone coverage...and the Beatles are still the hottest new group on the charts! :D

Some of my rambling thoughts on how I'd like to see this go down, and what we need to think about and what you need to know to make your plans:

If you type in "Kalispell, Mt" in google, you can find tons of information about the area. Do some research...it's a GREAT area for recreation and outdoor fun.

Dates: Well, this isn't determined yet, but the 4th of July is on a Monday this year, so most will have a 3 day weekend. I'm thinking if people can arrive on Friday, and use the 4th to head home..that would be a good time. Possibly later in the summer would work out better. Those that are seriously contemplating coming, please tell me via PM or email what dates work best for you. The majority rules. I think July/August are the best times. Any earlier and Glacier Park might not be fully open yet, and that is a GREAT plce to show you people!

If you plan on flying into the area, you need to book reservations to Glacier International Airport (code FCA), or on AMTRAK to Whitefish, Mt. I can pick you up in my car (can have 4 passengers) or in my pickup truck (BIG back seat :D ). I can supply driving directions to my house if you're driving up or I recommend using https://www.mapquest.com and it will bring you to my doorstep.

Accommodations: If the weather is crappy (rain/snow), I have a fair amount of room here and can accommodate men/women/kids OK, but with just one bathroom (no using the bushes please) we have to learn how to share. If the weather's nice, I'd suggest camping in Glacier Park. They have modern campgrounds and bathroom facilities..but no showers. Hey, that's the fun part of camping...roughing it! You can shower at my house on Saturday night before we go to the Blue Moon. You people have JUST gotta go to the Moon...it's GREAT! Must be 21 or older though...sorry.

Expenses: Since I haven't hit the lottery yet :roll: , you will, of course, be responsible for chipping in on food, campground fees (can get a group camp site in the park), park entrance fees, your own refreshments, travel expenses, etc. My house is free to all of course. I don't see where expenses would run you much more than maybe $50 once you';re here though, unless you go shopping. BTW..there is no sales tax in Montana! Come and buy a car if you want to! :lol:

I think this needs to be a very non-political Gathering in the sense that I don't want to hear any "Mine is better than yours" stuff, but rather a sharing of ideas, concepts, war stories, * and techniques among friends with similar interests and lifestyles. I'm not thinking of this gathering so much as a bunch of people coming to workout together, but as a group of people coming together to meet one another and have some fun. If you want to work out...that's just fine with me! We can use my friends gymnastics school if the weather's bad (might be a small fee to use it though), or the park in the sunshine (hopefully).

Spouses, boy/girlfriends (not both please :brow: ) kids and any really tall single ladies are welcome (sorry, just had to add that :D ) to attend.

More will be added as this progresses, but I think this is a decent start.

Suggestions/commments are appreciated.

*EDIT* I should also add that this gathering is not sponsered by, endorsed by, supported by, funded by (rats!) recommended by or in any way connected with https://www.karateforums.com, its sponsors, mods, or anybody else connected or associated with the operation of https://www.karateforums.com. There ya go Patrick...you're covered! lol And no people, he did not ask me to write that..but I think it's a good thing for people to know. I'm just offering my area as a place to have a get together.

Also, if you're under 18 and thinking of coming, I think it is a good idea to have a letter from your parent(s) or guardian(s) giving you permission to attend and also a waiver of responsibility to me. I won't be responsible for any misfortune or accidents, such as car accidents or bear attacks :brow: that may occur to participants. Besides...if you sued me, you wouldn't get much! :lol: You will be doing this at your own risk...but don't let that scare you off...it's perfectly safe up here. :karate: A heck of a lot safer than walking the streets of most major cities in this world after dark! :P

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It's a great idea Shorinryu Sensei!

I wish I could afford to come over, but Kalispell, MT, USA is a heck of a way from Rotherham, UK... and it costs lots of £££ to get there... :(

Anyway, I hope that lots of folk manage to meet up together. Have a good time and take lots of pics!

If any of the UK folk want to get together then let me know.

We could perhaps meet in London or a central location somewhere in the Midlands (Leicester area perhaps?). Let me know if you're interested.

It'd be good to get together for a weekend, swap stories, have a few beers and train together. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

seeing as how all trains+major roads get to london directly, that might be the easiest place..... unless of course none of the guys here are in london....

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

It's a great idea Shorinryu Sensei!

I wish I could afford to come over, but Kalispell, MT, USA is a heck of a way from Rotherham, UK... and it costs lots of £££ to get there... :(

Anyway, I hope that lots of folk manage to meet up together. Have a good time and take lots of pics!

If any of the UK folk want to get together then let me know.

We could perhaps meet in London or a central location somewhere in the Midlands (Leicester area perhaps?). Let me know if you're interested.

It'd be good to get together for a weekend, swap stories, have a few beers and train together. :)

You know, if you'd be willing to pay MY way over there to the UK...I'd love to go! :D I have an ex-fiance over there and we've been talking about trying again...if one or the other of us can get the money together to travel to the other person. So far, not looking real good! :cry: She's in the Norwich area..

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Is everybody gonna train with everybody else and share their thgouths/philsophies? Where would ya train? A dojo? home?

This hasn't been determined yet. If we go to Glacier Park..it'll be an outside orkout. In town, nice weather..outside in a city park, or inside at a gymnastics school taht a friend of mine owns.

Yeah I'd love to, but 30 hours of flight time and £950 for flights means this is just out of the question. A crying shame really.

Put me down for a UK meet though, in the south or midlands (south preferably :))

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

The last two weeks of June would be a better date for me, simply because I have class at any other time in the summer. I didn't realize it would be over 1300 miles away though, looks like I'd have to fly to get there. I'll have to see if I have enough leave (yeah, the assignment I'm in right now makes me take leave if I go out-of-state, even during the weekend...) to pull that and some other trips I have on my plate.

Training in a gymnastics school does sound tempting. Oh, you mean they won't be there at the same time? Darn.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/