• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

me and the boy

Hello all

Just signed up to the site to ask for some experienced opninions on a situation i have. Thanks in advance for reading and adding any input for the problem. :wink:

My son is exactly 7 yrs old i put him in a local TKD karate school. So he could get the structure i had and make all the friends i made when i went to TKD when i was a little one. Only problem is I myself have sparked up an interest in Wing tsun (EMIN BOTZEPE wing tsun to be exact) as some you guys might know the 2 arts are so at the opposite end of the scale in everywhich way its unbelievable.

Now on to the question I want my son to learn the arts while reeping the benfits of having a positive social and formal environment only problem is theres is no compatible wingtsun school in our area for kids. He watches me practice my forms after i get home and he wants to learn those forms instead of the tai kwon do forms. what do i say to him "no son tai kwon do is better for you" its just not cutting it he seems to be losing interest TKD fast because of this i think. i dont want to teach him any WT forms because i dont want them intefering with his tkd training. i wish i could yank him out of the tkd class and try teaching him WT myself but then he loses his buddy's at school and i am no where near qualified to teach WT as of now. the boy's been in tkd for a year and half and i've been in WT for a year at 4th sg what do i say to the boy what do i do. any advice from anyone going through similar sitaution would be really nice thanks all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you could try asking him to show you some of his stuff and kind of turn the tables. if you act really interested in his stuff he just might think more of it.

worse comes to worse, why not show him a little of your stuff if it makes him happy. maybe incorperate it into what he does.

I am sure there is a commun ground somewhere between you style and your son's style.Work on those isue help him in his formes with you knowledge, then when he grow up, he will be abble to decide what's best for him.till then have fun with you son and thank God for his interest in MA.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

I see no problems on you teachingy your son the forms that you've learned. There are few enough opportunities for a father and son to "bond" and learn from each other as it is (I have 2 sons myself), and if he's interested..go for it! Always take any opportunity to do things together that you can.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If nothing works then be a man and give up WT. Do it for your son what kind of Dad are you! Put his needs before yours for once in your life! You didn't even offer the option of giving up your art for your son! What is this world coming to! You also never offered to take TKD with your son! Make the sacrifice dont scar your child for life!

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

i agree with someone up above that said for you to take interest in his stuff. make it seem like his TKD is far more important and cooler then you style. whats probably happened is he wants to be jut like his dad and he thinks that maybe since you don't do TKD, that its not good or cool enough. make him think other wise. make a big deal out of simple moves that he does and try to get him to "teach" you the moves to. saying that you'd like to learn it. hope this helps.

I agree with the point of turning the tables on him by taking an interest in what he is doing? If this does not work you could always tell him that if he trains hard enough in the TKD that later on, when he is older, he can start training with you in WT.

If you start teaching him the WT it could cause him to get irritated about not being able to go with you to the WT school.

I feel for you being in the position that you are in. My Father, My Wife, 2 of My Cousins, and Myself all have at least our Shodan. We have also trained with each other at different times. We have many more in our family that have trained, but do not have BB's. It is a great way for family bonding, but beware. I broke My Dad's cheek bones during the grand finale of my Sho-dan test. So be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."