• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing chun looks interesting, alot to do with triangular stances(The strongest shape) and techniques, I have never studied it myself though.

the whole triangle stance is just for training. in a fight you use a more natural stance more like the 60/40 weight distribution. there are some wing chun lineages that do fight from the triangle stance but thats not how we do it, my sifu has always told us that its a great way to get kicked in the balls.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt he means the pigeon toed 'Character 2' stance which is what you're talking about.

I mean, noone could fight like that, you can't balance, move, kick...

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

The idea is to keep your center line on your opponents mother line. It is not advisable to go into a confrontation with your center line on your opponents center line. We use what we call a flanking step to accomplish this. If you look in the photos section of our website under students you will see an example or two of it.

YGKYM is just that a training stance. We do use the triangular footwork that we teach but only once we have control of center and have flanked our opponent.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

I doubt he means the pigeon toed 'Character 2' stance which is what you're talking about.

I mean, noone could fight like that, you can't balance, move, kick...

you'de be shocked, for example check out leung ting's most famous student emin boztepe, that guy teaches and fights from that stance. i'm not slaggin anyone here, if it works for you then great, but its not for me and my style of wing chun.

it's a stance to begin from, not fight in.

if the other guy is in range, you don't tend to use it.

if he is not in range then you use it as a sort of 'ready stance' to give yourself free choice of movement to either side when you close the gap to engage.

it is mainly a training stance but it is used at certain phases of contact/pre-contact.

by the way, in that stance, you are balanced, you can move and you can kick.

there's a reason why you start poon sau/luk sau in the stance and that is because it allows you to do all of them things and 'walk' as you roll.

again, with all things wing chun, chances are we are all taught differently, after all, not all lines of wing chun has the toes-in version of the goat stance.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

theres definately a bunch of different styles of wing chun. like i said before, if you use that stance in yours good for you, we dont. the way my Sifu has taught us makes sense to us, and im sure the way your Sifu has taught you makes sense to you, so theres no point in arguing.

the biggest problem that i have with the wing chun community is the way EVERYONE claims that they have the knowledge of the ONLY complete system. my Sifu has learned from three different teachers and each is different, he has incorporated techniques from all three of us to learn - this is what all wing chun practitioners should do! if a technique from another style works and your style doesnt have it, why not learn it and make your style even more complete?

i hace always maintained that the reason Wing Chun isnt as popular as Tai Kwon Do or Karate is because the leaders of Wing Chun spend too much time bitching about who has the best style or who's is complete. if there was unity amongst the lineages then Wing Chun would be HUGE.

if a technique from another style works and your style doesnt have it, why not learn it and make your style even more complete?

But wing chun has it! You do not have to look elsewhere, coz it is there, in wing chun. I have two and a half year training in wing chun, (it is a little more street orientated I think that most traditional wing chun system, but the tree main techniques are tougth there to, just as in your wing chun. Taan sao, bong sao and fook sao, war style!), and I used to say this words too, but now I know that you don't have to look at other styles, Wing Chun has it all, you just have to find it for yourself or ask your sifu for it, but trust me on this: what the other styles has, so has wing chun! But on a simpler, more complete way!

If your line of wing chun dosn't have the toe-in verson of the goat stance it is NOT wing chun, just a bad copy of it! How the he77 do you do Sil Nim Tao without that stance and IF you do, where are your rothing? OR don't you do that form either? Sorry pal, but without a propper stance your wing chun is just a very bad copy...... if you can call it a copy at all!!

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

lots of wing chun lineages do not use the toe's in stance.

one of the versions of the forms yip man taught does not use the toes-in stance.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

if a technique from another style works and your style doesnt have it, why not learn it and make your style even more complete?

But wing chun has it! You do not have to look elsewhere, coz it is there, in wing chun. I have two and a half year training in wing chun, (it is a little more street orientated I think that most traditional wing chun system, but the tree main techniques are tougth there to, just as in your wing chun. Taan sao, bong sao and fook sao, war style!), and I used to say this words too, but now I know that you don't have to look at other styles, Wing Chun has it all, you just have to find it for yourself or ask your sifu for it, but trust me on this: what the other styles has, so has wing chun! But on a simpler, more complete way!

If your line of wing chun dosn't have the toe-in verson of the goat stance it is NOT wing chun, just a bad copy of it! How the he77 do you do Sil Nim Tao without that stance and IF you do, where are your rothing? OR don't you do that form either? Sorry pal, but without a propper stance your wing chun is just a very bad copy...... if you can call it a copy at all!!

you obviously missed the point of everything that i said. good work!

let me dumb it down for you. there are many different branches of wing chun, and many differances in techniques between those styles and almost no unity amongst them. if one branch of wing chun has something that your style doesnt and it works then why not use it? that is what i was saying.

about the goat stance, again you missed what i was saying. there are some branches of wing chun that fight from the goat stance, mine does not. we do use it in siu lim tao, chum kiu and biu gee. not to mention baat jam do and the pole form, but NOT IN FIGHTING.

please read the posts slowly and take a second to let them sink in before responding so i dont have to repeat myself.

LOL. I'm a slow reader and you are a fast typer.....

there are some branches of wing chun that fight from the goat stance, mine does not.

The goat stance makes it a lot easier to turn, to learn that well, but to fight with it? No way!

OK, so you are from a diff branch of wing chun, good for you! I been training wing chun for two and a half year now and I've seen at least tree changes within the system(One with bong sao, we dropped quai sao(strike to the side of body) and one with the elbow (Point right down, not to the side after fx hyin sao), but my system is very street orientated, it is still from the Yip Ching branch, but I guess your right. There is a lot of diffrense, to bad wing chun isn't just wing chun, but there messed it up with politics to... :evil:

But fighting in the goat stance I would like to see.... :lol:

Would be an rather short match!

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!