• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chito Ryu

KaiShin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
anyone out there study the Chito Ryu style of Karate? :-? it is translated into 1000 ways.

My first sytem, Okyuno-ryu, was an off-shoot of Chito-Ryu. It's my understanding that my Sensei's Sensei combined the Seibukan Shorin he learned while in Okinawa with Chito-Ryu he learned through Sensei Mike Foster and Sensei Yamamoto back in the 60's & '70's.

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

I am a Go-dan in Chito-ryu. It is actually translated as "1000 year Tang Style". To clarify for everyone Sensei Mike Foster is the Head of U.S. Yoshukai and is based out of Florida.

As for an overview of what Chito-ryu is. Dr. Tsuyoshi Chitose studied Shorei-ryu from Seisho Aragaki and Shorin-ryu from Chotoku Kyan. He then "mixed the two together and created Chito-ryu. After the death of O-sensei Chitose the whole Chito-ryu family went to pieces with every master going their own way.

If you want more information on Chito-ryu you should look up the U.S. Chito-ryu Federation ot Travis Cottreau's Chito-ryu site.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• 2 weeks later...

Ehm Searcher, you are not entirely correct. The US branch of Chito-Ryu split from the world wide organisation. Europe/Asia/Canada are still in the same organisation. Perhaps you are referring to a spilt in the US Chito-Ryu? O' sensei's Chito-Ryu is headed by Soke sensei (the son of O'sensei) Sensei Shane Higashi is Chito-Ryu's leader in North America and Europe.

Read a book!

that is very interestiong as I am still under the impression that Master Dometrich is the head of the Chito-ryu in North America. I have been known to make mistakes. I was not aware of there being much in the way of unity in the Chito-ryu family. I do not have access to information outside of the U.S., except in limited quantities. With so many problems here in the U.S. with Chito-ryu we are getting mixed information.

My sincere appologies for any incorrect information.

My little brother took Chito-Ryu for about 6months before joining the Kyokushin dojo I was training at, at the time.

Just that small amount of training in Chito-Ryu helped him pick up Kyokushin quite rapidly, as it provided him with a good basis for his Karate.

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

that is very interestiong as I am still under the impression that Master Dometrich is the head of the Chito-ryu in North America. I have been known to make mistakes. I was not aware of there being much in the way of unity in the Chito-ryu family. I do not have access to information outside of the U.S., except in limited quantities. With so many problems here in the U.S. with Chito-ryu we are getting mixed information.

My sincere appologies for any incorrect information.

Yes I am concerned that the information we both recieve will be somewhat biased. In the world of karate there will always be politics that somewhat taint the art we all love so much

Mr Dometrich is the leader of his own organisation but it is not the Chito-ryu organisation of O'sensei.But remember that Dometrich sensei split with the world wide Chito-Ryu organization of O'Sensei. I have heard about why Dometrich sensei left, and I was rather suprised by his claims. But I will not share my opinion of them, out of respect for my american Chito_Ryu friends.

Take care :karate:

Read a book!

I could not agree more with the biased politics that are involved when people split from their parent organization.

Unfortunately, we are all pawns in someones little game. :bawling: