• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist locks and joint locks:

Hi Guys

I am taking a korean martial arts with stand up joint locks begin taught. The problem is that even through the locks appears effective in class, I question thier effiicacy on the streets esp a experienced streetfighter or MAist. My brother is in MT, believe stand up wrist locks in real life will just temporarily delay a a$$ beating leading to a vegetative state. Any thoughts or experiences welcome

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

unless one or the other is being a complete idiot, I don't think you would have to worry about a fight between experienced martial artists. in any case, iof you don't think joint locks are effective, have one put on you and try to break free or hit back...ask your instructor to help with this 8)

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

When properly executed a joint lock(especially when accompanied with a pressure point) should produce enough pain...that the person will not be able to think of a retaliation. Not to mention,in a real situation, a joint lock may lead to a broken bone or another injury.

In class,we are taught to "release" as to not inflict injury.

:wink:

Kyo Sa Nim in KSW

Certified Personal Trainer

Health and Business Consultant

I am a strong believer that in order to guarantee the effectiveness of joint locks (wrist, elbow, finger, shoulder) that you have to move the attackers concentration elsewhere. There might be some guys out there who can go directly to locks and make them work everytime. I, however, am neither Yang Jwing-Ming or Bong Soo Han. :)

Even they would most likely suggest that such locks are for controlling an opponent after you've applied a powerful strike.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

In my opinion joint locks are very useful in a fight. No one wants to feel pain and the use of joint locks and pressure points is very useful when you might be in an other than advantageous position.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I was taught in TSD that you have to get their attention elsewhere first (loosen them up, so to speak). Hit a "soft" or vital area, then do a joint lock. It worked wonders (at least with the big and bad so-called "bullies" in class that though "joint-locks won't do nothing" LOL).

Laurie F

Your brother is right. (AHHHH KSN, did you say that!!!!!)

Yes I said your MT brother is right......for the level you are at. MT is a very quick art to become effective. They are used to being taght the technique and BOOM, they can use it effectively in the street.

You are learning techniques that you will not be able to use immediately. At least not if they are taught they way we are taught. As the others have said, a joint lock is not something you just walk up and put on someone. They tend not to want to let you for some reason :) .

There are pressure points to hit, or redirection of force to apply, and lets not forget the ability to judge by their appearance which joints can even be attacked! (You wouldn't attempt a wrist lock on a guy with huge wrists).

However, when you have ALL the knowledge of how to not only execute them, but how to apply the execution to the circumstance, then they are extremely effective.

Don't forget, there is only a couple pounds difference between a joint lock and a joint BREAK. Practice and use them carefully!

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Like others said, joint locks can be very effective, as long as you know how to do them right. I've used them very effectively before, on much larger people, but when I first learned them I couldn't do it properly without pausing to fix my technique.

we've done some scenario training... I mean you know whats going to happen but you move a little quicker, and I would have to say, som of the 1stDahns executed some locks on myself, be it an armbar, typical lock, or like a chicken wing.. and there was nothing I wanted more than for them to let go..

I agre with everyone else, train, train, train, train... until it's a second nature.