• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon Do Nationals

I haven't been to one myself. Almost did two years ago, but didn't make it somehow, but I plan on going this year, and will be getting into a club in about two weeks. The only problem is, I don't know anything about it besides it's a tournament. Does anyone know where it's going to be, when it's going to be, and what kind of rules are in it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rockuman,

You first have to tell us what Organazation's nationals you are going to. Are you in the US? Do you belong to USA Taekwondo? AAU? ATA? ITA? etc... Are you going to their juniors or adults tournament? Some are held at different times, others hold them at the same time. The ATA has three national tournaments a year.

You could also look up theor website or their events.

I have been active in both USTU and AAU local, state and national tournaments since 1997 (see http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/mafit3.htm

USTU (the governing body of the US Olympic team) has reorganized and is now called USA Taekwondo (see http://www.ustu.org/. They have:

1. 30th U.S. National Collegiate Taekwondo Championships, April 15-16, 2005, Berkeley, California

2. 2005 U.S. Junior Olympic Taekwondo Championships, JUNE 21-25, 2005, San Antonio, TX

3. 2005 National Qualifiers:

2005 National Qualifier #1: March 19-20 - San Jose, Calif.

2005 National Qualifier #2: April 9-10 - Providence, R.I.

2005 National Qualifier #3: April 23-24 - Houston, Texas

2005 National Qualifier #4: May 7-8 - Anaheim, Calif.

2005 National Qualifier #5: May 14-15 - Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

2005 National Qualifier #6: May 28-29 - Rochester, Minn.

4. 31st Annual U.S. National Taekwondo Championships, October 27-30, 2005, San Jose, California

5. 14TH Annual U.S. Open Taekwondo Championships, March 3 – 6, 2005, Atlanta, Georgia

AAU is the Amateur Athletic Union (see http://www.aautaekwondo.org/. It has:

1. The National AAU Youth and Adult Taekwondo Championships:

July 4 - 9, 2005 Greensboro, NC

July 3 - 8, 2006 Knoxville, TN

2. AAU Junior Olympic Games

July 30 - August 2, 2005 New Orleans, LA

August 2 - August 5, 2006 Hampton Roads, VA Norfolk State University

July 25 - August 4, 2007 Knoxville, TN

ATA is the American Taekwondo Association(see http://www.ataonline.com/. It lists:

1. 2005 SONGAHM TAEKWONDO SPRING NATIONALS event is set for February 2-5, 2005 near Las Vegas, Nevada.

2. World Championships in Little Rock , June 13-19, 2005

ITF is the INTERNATIONAL TAEKWON-DO FEDERATION (see http://www.tkd-itf.org/home.shtml

1. Open competition Viking Cup International 2005, March 19th -20th, 2005, Skovde, Sweden - ARENA Sport Centre

2. 11th Junior and 20th Senior

European Taekwon-Do ITF Championships, April 22nd -24th, 2005, Terracina, Italy

...and there's more.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Well, I suppose the organization I'm gonna be a part of is USTU

Expect Delays

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my scheduled NASKA tournaments for 2005, anyone else attending I would like to other KarateForum.com members :D

1. March 19, 2005 – 7th Annual Suncoast Open – Largo, Florida

2. April 8th, 2005 – Ocean State Nationals – Providence, R.I.

3. May 28, 2005 – FLMA Warrior Extravaganza – Largo, Florida

4. June 18, 2005 – Bluegrass Nationals – Louisville, KY

5. July 2, 2005 – US Open – Orlando, Florida

6. September 10, 2005 – Sunshine State Invitational – Largo, Florida

7. October 1, 2005 – Battle of Atlanta – Atlanta, GA

8. October 15, 2005 – Diamond Nationals – St. Paul, MN

9. October 22, 2005 – Sarasota 1st - Sarasota, Florida

10. November 5, 2005 – Pan American Internationals – Miami, Florida

Looking forward to seeing some of you :)

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

The old USTU is now called USA Taekwon do.

This year at the Junior Olympics there will be 2 divisions- the World Class division and the Elite Open division. The Elite Open division is just that.. an OPEN tournament in which as long as you get the application in by the deadline, you are able to compete. In order to compete in the World Class division, you must qualify at one of the 6 National Qualifier tournaments. The top 4 at each National Qualifier will be eligible to compete in the World Class division of the Junior Olympics. The medalists at the Junior Olympics in the World Class division will be eligible to compete in USA Taekwondo Developmental camps and clinics to be hosted by USAT later in the year. The World Class division offers additional exposure and is intended for those athletes wanting to continue through the Developmental Pipeline to eventually be a world class athlete.

The World Class division is for the Junior division (6-17 year olds- green, blue, red, and black belts) and the Senior division (18+- green, blue, red, and black belts). If an athlete wants to participate in the world class division at the Junior Olympics or Senior Nationals, that athlete must qualify at one of the 6 National Qualifiers. If not, they are free to enter into the Elite Open division of the associated tournament and will be accepted if all registration materials are received by the posted deadline. Applications for the Elite Open division at the Junior Olympics will be available the week following the US Open.

There will not be ULTRA divisions at the National Qualifiers but there will be an OPEN tournament for Ultras in conjunction with the Senior Nationals in San Jose from October 27-30, 2005

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think of the NBL/SKIL tournaments? They seem to be the only ones that our school attends.

Is one circuit more respected than another? I am very interested in finding this out as I have a child who is very interested in competing nationally and has done a few here and there with no specific circuit.

We are new to this. Any input?

Kris

I think for the most part each circuit is pretty much the same. I mean you cant compete in sparring and win regularly unless you are competent no matter what the tournament. The only place where theres really room for error is in refs/judges and environment...such as unsafe practices. NBBL, NASKA, AAU, USATKD its all pretty much going to be the same. The rules will obviously be different but in terms of quality it really shouldnt be.

Long Live the Fighters!

I love nationals. I have won five golds at the last four national tournaments (4 sparring, 1 paterns). I also won a gold at a one off sparring seminar. Some guy is coming to watch our British squad training and we can get scholarships to American colleges. Is it actually true you have college teams in martial arts?? :-?

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee