• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Confused

Souldburned

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kARATE started in Okinawa , there were three village Naha,Shuri,Tomari accordingly We have Naha-te Shuri-te Tomari-te

Naha-te mainly became okinawan Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu

Shuri-te and Tomari-te became different Shorin-ryu

styles , Matsumura Seito and Isshin-ryu.

hopefully someone will give you some info about Japanies Styles of karate later.

Early Karate styles in Japan (besides what PAL already mentioned) are Shotokan, Wado ryu, Shito ryu, Kushin ryu, and Shindo Jinen ryu.

I practice Shindo Jinen ryu, and it's more of Japanese styles Karate.

originally written by Xena, as found on Kenpo-Texas.com: "Ed Parker Sr., founder of American Kenpo, in his Encyclopedia of Kenpo, says: Kenpo is "a modern term describing one of the more innovative systems of the Martial Arts which originally started in Hawaii, is heavily practiced in the Americas, and has now spread worldwide. KEN means fist and PO means law." The term stems from the Chinese "Kempo" which refers to all migrating Chinese Martial Arts outside of China. Mr. Parker brought Kenpo to the mainland from Hawaii and made "numerous contributions of innovative concepts and principles." Kenpo is a system of self defense based on logic and the scientific study of movement. By studying motion in all its nuances, Kenpo provides both maximum efficiency (no wasted time, movements, or energy) and maximum effectiveness (speed, power, focus). It offers "explosive action with minimum target exposure. It employs linear as well as circular moves, utilizing intermittent power when and where needed, interspersed with minor and major moves that flow with continuity. It is flexible in thought and action so as to blend with encounters as they occur."

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Think of it this way. there was the first car...then from there, many people thought they could build a better, or different car. So now we have how many different makes of cars out there in the world, and within each of those different makes, there are sub-catagories.

The martial arts are about the same. There are basic Okinawan, Japanese, Chinese and Korean systems (and others of course), and within each of these are a vast number of sub systems.

Under the Okinawan/Japanese systems, you have karate, JJ, aikido, sumo, judo, etc.

Korean you have TKD, TSD, Hapkido, etc.

Chinese is kungfu, gunfu, etc.

Does that help...or confuse you more? :-?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Naha-te mainly became okinawan Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu

Goju-ryu came out of Naha-te but Uechi-ryu did not. It's a sister style to Goju-ryu with many similiar techniques because it originated from the similar source in Fuchou China but it's a much younger style to be considered as Naha-te. Also it came from China after 1910, much later than Naha-te of Kanryo Higaonna. And it was first tought in mainland Japan in 1924. The first time it was tought on Okinawa was around 1945 in Nago.

hara wo neru

basically people all went off in their own way, creating different kinds of karate, they pretty much just rivaling families that all think that they can do it better than everyone else... i study Chito Ryu, which branched off from another form of karate... i dont have my student manual with me right now... but i will take the time to put the "karate family tree" of how most variations branched off eachother... i will just skan the img soon, i dont feel like getting the manual now.

If you are interested in different styles, try getting Unante: the secrets of karate by John Sells, it is one of the most informative books with over 500 pages, sadly the price is very high but in my opinion it is a "must have" for any serious karateka interested in detailed history of karate.

hara wo neru