• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper Kung Fu Salute ..

In our school its closed left fist, open palm right fist, joined together. I am not really up with history and tradition. I simply follow what we do at our school.

This but our grandmaster told us to never have your thumb out because in china it signifies number 1 and when you bow you are equal

The right to keep and bear Arms.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my school the salute is open left hand and right closed fist. according to my sifu, the story behind this (be sure to add in the usual grain of salt for kung fu "origin" stories) was that some rich guy wanted to train with skilled monk, who of course refused him. so the guy cut off the monks right hand. he felt bad and asked to be trained again. the monk again refused, but let him do housework, which of course was training in disguise. eventually when the rich guy figured out what was going on and the monk agreed to formally train him, he cut off his own hand as a gesture of respect and grattitude. i think the monk kicked the crap out of somebody one-handed at some point in there but i might be mixing my apocryphal stories.

the rebels who developed wing chun used the left hand as a fist. to secretly greet each other and show their identity to each other.

Be everything. Be nothing.

in my school the salute is open left hand and right closed fist. according to my sifu, the story behind this (be sure to add in the usual grain of salt for kung fu "origin" stories) was that some rich guy wanted to train with skilled monk, who of course refused him. so the guy cut off the monks right hand. he felt bad and asked to be trained again. the monk again refused, but let him do housework, which of course was training in disguise. eventually when the rich guy figured out what was going on and the monk agreed to formally train him, he cut off his own hand as a gesture of respect and grattitude. i think the monk kicked the crap out of somebody one-handed at some point in there but i might be mixing my apocryphal stories.

The stance is already a joint locking technique or

block and punch if you can understand the meaning.

Maybe more.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

The stance is already a joint locking technique or

block and punch if you can understand the meaning.

when thought of/used as such, yeah. a lot of the flowery "ornamental" openers of kung fu forms have practical applications

Form or Kata has their pracitical use.

But if no expert inform you the main point of

how to use that technique.

Then this is flowery

Just like in BJJ, even with

the whole clip from Top mount to arm bar,

you may not do this well.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

(OVINE: wushu is also used as a term for MA in China.) There is a standard salutation recognized by almost every kung fu school. I don't mean to repeat the hand motions because everyone has said it a billion times but i'm going to add the leg movement of the mostly acknowledged salutation: You start out with feet together left palm touching or spaced ( either way it doesn't matter I do it space a bout 1.5" because i was tought that way) and elbows out, at the left breast/heart. Bring this accross to the right breast and step into a dragon stance with the right foot (for those who don't know: keep left in same erect position, turn right foot facing the side and step it out not too much but just enough. Just make it comfortable). then bring left foot out into an empty stance and extend both the palm and fist in front of you in the center ( the reason i like it slightly spaced is because at this point i can fully extend my arms with out seperating my hands or moving them closer, without opening myself up (i'm also including the movements laced into it). Next while still in empty stance, while bringing hands to about sash level close left hand into a fist. your fists should be facing eachother, with thumb and fingers side of fists facing the floor. you should be looking at your backhand and knuckles. then roll them into chamber and step the left foot back from empty and right back from dragon before the chamber is complete. Your roll should be at least at breast level because the move here is that when you brought your fists down you were knocking down a push or a double punch and then the role is a counter strike.

"You cannot mean what you say unless you say what you mean" --me

not really.

wushu is a term used to refer to a specific type of martial arts performance (and it's training).

normally, people will refer to their style by name.

i.e hung kuen, wing chun, lee gar etc.

in a way, wushu is almost a style by itself.

if you look into the inception and the aims of modern wushu you'll know what i mean.

the schools that use the 'recognised' version would do it as part of their training because it conforms to the competitions (which the standards apply).

any meaning in it would be secondary and far removed from the meaning it would've had, especially in certain styles, 100-200 years ago.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

We have two ways of performing the hand salute in my school - closed right fist and left hand covering for Wing Chun and closed left fist with open right hand next to it for Tai Chi. In the Tai Chi salute, the fist is turned slightly so that the back of the hand faces more towards the person performing the action, rather than facing upwards.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!