• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting the rhythm

dusenbutt

My wife an I are headded for our second Karate class ever tonight. We really loved our first class, and have been lookng forward to tonight all week long.

Our sensei is a man from our church who teaches for the love of it. He doesn't charge a dime, but he is pretty strict on discipline.

My wife was a professional Ballet dancer for years adn she now teaches, so she is very coordinated. Whereas I have to confess that I am a very uncoordinated guy, with almost zero flexibility.

All of that to get to my question...In class last week the sensei emphasised that we should focus on ourselves only and not the other students around us. I was using the rhythm of the other students movements to help me. Is that a valid way to learn? Or should I focus on my own movements only?

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

-Jack Handey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dusenbutt..welcome to the world of the martial arts!

As for your question...focus on learning the basics that you're being taught. If you try to compare yourself to others, you're going to get even more frustrated than you normally will. Frustration early on in training is very common. Your wife will probably pick up on it faster than you do since she's used to doing more physical movements that you are apparently, so be aware of that and don't let it bother you. Each person learns at their own pace.

You might ask your wife to help you stretch at home (no, you don't have to wear a tu-tu :brow: ) to give you a bit of an edge..plus that can be fun too! lol

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. That's what this forum is all about!

What system are you learning?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hey thanks!

It's not that I'm frustrated. I'm not really. I've always been acutely aware of my lack of grace. :P

I was trying to day that I have been using the rhythm of the more experienced student's movements to help guide my own movements in class. For example, since I am a beginner, I want to punch before I finish my step forward. I use teh rhytm of the other students to help me punch at the proper time as I step forward. Is that a good way to learn untill I get used to the movements on my own? I am practicing on my own at home as well.

Oh and we are learning Okinawan Goju Ryu!

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

-Jack Handey

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the rhythm of the other students. You mean doing things at the same speed as they are doing them? If so, I'd recommend going at your own speed and trying to get the technique as correctly as possible first...speed will come later when you least expect it.

You have to keep in mind that the other more "seasoned" students have experience and don't have to think as much about what they're doing. You do.

I'm not real familiar personally with Goju Ryu, but it's a harder (as in stronger, not more difficult) system and more ridgid than what I do from what I've seen. It should be fine if that's the sort of system you're looking for.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

GojuRyu is more the sytem that's available to me. The Sensei is someone I know and trust and the whole "free" thing is kind of attractive as well. :karate:

-Jack Handey

GojuRyu is more the sytem that's available to me. The Sensei is someone I know and trust and the whole "free" thing is kind of attractive as well. :karate:

Free is good! :D And if you know the sensei personally, that's always a plus too.

Hey I just thoguht I might add my two cents on your question there...It's a good idea to follow by example and watch and learn, because that's what higher belt ranks are for..to set an example. Use them as a guide, but don't completely focus on them, you know what I mean? Follow by example, but do it at your own rate and you should do great.

Welcome to the martial arts! As far as grace, don't worry, it will come in time, maybe a long time, but it will come.

As your Sensei said, focus on your movements only, martial art training is a very personal journey and if you are in a good dojo, you will grow at your own pace. Concentrate on what the Sensei does and do the best you can to copy it, granted you won't be able to do it like he does for some time, but take note of where you need to improve and work on that.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Well, we had our second class last night and I went into it focusing solely on my movements. I didn't even stand next to my wife just because I really wanted to not be distracted.

I have to say, I feel like I had a much better night than last week. First, I knew what to expect. Secondly, I had been practicing my Sanchin Dachi, punching and kicking. So I was a little better.

Sweet! I want a Gi, now. :kaioken:

-Jack Handey

Using others as role models is always beneficial to success-as long as your role model is appropriate. The danger is comparing yourself to others as this can lead to negative motivation and stinkin' thinkin'! You must make martial arts your own, as you are unique and no one else will ever fight/perform like you.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/