• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting Power And Speed With Vertical Fist Punch?

isshinryuwarrior

One of the reasons I think the vertical fist is powerful is because of the elbow pointing down. Regardless of whether you have a vertical, 3/4 or full turn punch, I always think the elbow should be down regardless.

Agreed...having the elbow down is a basic concept of this system.

Once you really get the rough mechanics down (weeks, months), try to experiment with not only having hip rotation on the "launching" part of the movement, but also significant hip rotation (doesn't mean large or exaggerated, but significant) on the retraction on impact as well.

:o GASP! :o Shorin Ryuu!!! Shame on you! :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something to think about as well. When you are doing continuous punching, think not about how hard you can throw a punch out there, but how fast you can pull your other hand back to your hip. Your two hands should essentially work like a pully system, when one goes out the other comes in. If you think of it this way, you will be able to increase your speed, because you will begin using your hips in proper motion. It's a lot easier to show than to tell, but hopefully you get the drift.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

With any punch if you want to get better at it:

Practise it on its own

Practise with a light weight, says 2.5 pounds with high repetition

Practise it on a bag

Strengthen your punching muscles through weight training

Do any technique hundreds of times a day and it will improve dramatically ... in time

There is no quick fix but hours of arduous training.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I can sort of see the pully thing in Penan #1. (totally screwed up the spelling. I just know it.) Isshinryu5, I'm sure you know it, block throw five punches, couple of moves five punches, kick, etc, etc. is that the same sort of "pully system" you are describing?

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?

The Penan must be something that is in the American IsshinRyu association or something, because I never did those. Does your sensei have a student who now owns a school in Brooklyn? Because if he does I was just there tonight. I know the 8 empty hand katas, the weapons katas, etc. The Penan are something totally different though. I know that upper body exercises 11 and 12 have the 5 vertical punches. It's good that you get the concept though.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Just to clarify, I believe you're referring to the Pinan (meaning "Peaceful Mind") kata. There are 5 of them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

ShorinRyu Sensei wrote:

Although you do gain more power from rotating your hips, you lose your defensive posture because you are overcommitting to the strike. It's fine if you make contact...but miss or get blocked, you're SCREWED!

I think a more appropriate term would be hip movement into the strike. Many good martial artists limit themselves because they use only rotational movement of the hips. Remember that the hip girdle also moves up and down. This movement is controlled by the very strong abdominal muscles and low back muscles, making it very powerful. In many cases, it's more appropriate to use this hip movement, and it dosen't put you in as vulnerable of a position.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The Pinan kata are also know as the Heian Kata. Perhaps you've heard of them refered to in this manner?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Nope, in our school we learn seisan, seiuchin, naihanchin, wansu, chinto, kusanku, sunsu, and sanchin in our school. That is all. My sensei may have incorporated the Pinan/Heian recently, but not within the first 10 years I was there.

- Tao Te Ching

I agree with pendakarshihan1. "Hip movement" is a much more accurate term to describe all of the motions. To clarify on my earlier post, I wasn't exactly aiming for a full-blown hip rotation either.

See my post:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14623

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/