"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should take this opportunity to make mention; A lot of people often think that if someone's truly not a threat to them, that it's good practice, they don't get hurt, and you don't get hurt -- since you can control the situation and not hurt them or be hurt, yet still get real fighting experience by getting into fights. This is not always true, and you won't know until it's too late. This is where the ego issue comes into play.

Be it that it's ego, anger, whatever. Whatever reason that makes you stay in a fight, act touch and not back down to be able to walk away or otherwise avoid the fight. Okay, fine, but then you might just find out the hard way, that you didn't see his other 10 friends, his knife, his gun, or the police officer that's walking up the parking lot towards you. These are all bad news and you don't find out until it's too late. There's too many things that can go wrong and you'll have no control over anything other than what you do... so you better think hard about what you're about to do -- and if you have time to think, you have time and opportunity to avoid it.

In otherwords, the non threatening confrontation, should not only be avoided because you are smart or skilled enough to be able to get out of fighting, or getting into a lot of fighting, but because of these other unknown variables as well. It's not all that uncommon, and it might be a decision you might really regret -- not to even have mentioned that you might not intend to do a lot of harm and end up killing some guy just because he's a stupid, loud mouthed punk trying to act cool when his friends are around. Just a thought.

Regards,

Tim Greer | xanth@digital-star.com | Phone: 530-222-7244

I study any and every style and I'm always looking to spar!!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jul 31, 2001 3:04am

Regards,

Tim Greer -> admin@chatbase.com | Phone: 530-222-7244

I study any and every style and I'm always looking to spar!!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

Not bad advice at all mate... I think i'l have to learn to walk away. I'm trying to use my wit more nowadays anyway, and make the person look like a fool even though i may be submitting to what they want... It kinda evens things out.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

some people won't belive it, but you are using you MA experence when you avoid violence and control the situation before it gets out of hand.

just another view :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• 2 weeks later...
Knowledge is power.. I don't think it's the size of the tiger, but the heart of the tiger. Put two guys against each other, one being 25kgs heavier. What good is his weight going to be if he's unfit or he grabs you ? Bigger people tend to grab a lot and use their weight and strength that way. Bigger people are mainly for strength, not skill. Any person who does martial arts knows someone is a fool for grabbing you, no matter how big they are. Knowledge is power, I have a friend who is about 55kgs and I'm 75kgs. He's been doing martial arts for 10 years or so, I've been doing it for a half a year.. Who's gonna win ? He is, he has much more knowledge. Where I could probably hurt, he could kill with one or two strikes. Hit anyone in the jaw, no matter how big and they're gonna go down. Lennox Lewis got knocked out by a much smaller dude who was unheard of that way.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Dude, grabbing isn't such a bad thing if u know what u'r doing... A big guy who does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a formidable force.

I always assumed getting grabbed by an unskilled person of superior weight and strengh was the worst thing to do. Exploit your speed and technique, don't give him an opportunity to get you in some kind of lock because, whatever your skill, a bigger guy is going to be very very hard to escape from unless you are really skilled indeed.

~The things you own - they end up owning you.

You generally find that unskilled guys only know one lock - the basic heaclock. This is so easy to get out of an he ends up with either sore ribs or sore genitals afterwards...