• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Size does not matter

I'm 16. I'm 5'6(ish). I tried to fight someone over 6 ft. I couldnt reach his head with my kicks. I couldnt score. One of his snap kicks, which was designed to draw my guard, sent me flying. Ow.

What I'm trying to say (in a less than subtle way) is that when you're over 5 ft, kata depends on your effort, whereas fighting is nearly impossible against a taller / stronger person. I repeat - ow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or, just don't try and kick someone in their head with a high kick, unless you have a very open opportunity and can easily do it. :-)

Regards,

Tim Greer -> admin@chatbase.com | Phone: 530-222-7244

I study any and every style and I'm always looking to spar!!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

ts757...

dude, maybe u aren't a good enough fighter... no offense. Size makes a difference if you're doing point sparring, obviously, cos u said u couldn't score a point. but if you're small and on the street against a guy like this you sould try and kick him in the groin and the knees. Don't try and hit him in the head.

On a similar note, a lot of people, i have noticed, continually go and try to hit someone in the head. What they don't realise is that hits to the stomach and to the legs and groin are just as damaging. I hardly ever open with a kick to the head unless the guy's guard is down. I might try and punch thru his guard but never kick thru it. Roundhouses to the ribs are an excellent attack to start with. I don't really care if i get taken down by a grappler if he grabs my kick because i can handle myself on the ground too!

Just felt like writing today,

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Yeah, break their leg on your first move, if you are able, that will stop anyone. Also, any technique that hits a vital area. Something to interfere with their breathing, or their ability to do much in the way of continuing a fight -- such as breaking their leg. Not many people get as easy a chance to execute a technique to someone's head on the first contact and knock them out of imobolize them, as much as a broken leg or crushed wind pipe would. Not exactly doable in anything but a real situation, but you get the idea.

Regards,

Yep, that's pretty much the adea... Although if u break their leg u have legalities to overcome...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

sir.....think positive and find a way....think negative and be defeated.....all in your perspective. :idea: :nod:

rushman (taekwondo moderator)

3rd dan

wtf/kukkiwon

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Jul 30, 2001 1:57pm

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

I would suggest first to ask them why the sudden change and why belts in a system that has never used belts before and what's up with the camoflauge belts???????? But seriously, ask before you judge. :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

On 2001-07-30 20:27, Kickbutt wrote:

I would suggest first to ask them why the sudden change and why belts in a system that has never used belts before and what's up with the camoflauge belts???????? But seriously, ask before you judge. :D

Ooops, wrong thread. :-)

Regards,

On 2001-07-30 04:14, Angus wrote:

Yep, that's pretty much the adea... Although if u break their leg u have legalities to overcome...

If I have a choice of the action I'll commit in a situation like that, then I certainly have the choice to not need to take action in the first place. Granted, everyone has emotions and can get pissed off and not walk away when they could have -- I know it's happened to me -- but assuming you don't have a choice not to, there must be a threat to your body, in which case, laws be damned and they go down by whatever means. Assuming you didn't have a choice, you don't worry about legal ramifications. Assuming you do have a choice, then yes, walk away if you are smart emough or otherwise get out of it or end it without violence or a lot of violence, and end it without causing any true harm to them.

However, if that's the case, it must not be much of a challenge and you needn't expose yourself to the situation anyway -- otherwise, do whatever you feel you must. That is how I look at it in a nutshell and some times you don't have time to consider these aspects. In the US, a broken leg, if someone attacks you, I don't see you getting into any legal trouble at all (criminal or civil). If you kill them, that's different and you better prove it was a mistake or intentional -- but both better be based on neccessity and that you likely didn't have many or any other alternatives. In all likelihood, I'll be too involved to consider much else, other than ending it.

Regards,