• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Size does not matter

With all the respect.

But i'm agree with thaiboxerken.. sizes DO matter specially if the two oponents have the same techniques and conditioning.

If sizes do not matter.. then why we have weight categories on tournaments??

Size do matter but as i said. its not a guarantee.. If you really know how to fight you can defend yourself, but fighting some bigger AND skilled its a risk for small people even if you know lots of techniques and have a "brain".

maybe thaiboxerken and I are agree because we both are small guys and we know what are we talking about. :smile:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us not forget the ancient art of intimidation... I have a friend who's built like Bruce Lee, all wiry and that, but i come across more intimidating because i'm bigger and stronger... Size DOES matter, because you have to deal with psychological factors as well as how good a fighter you are.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

The size of the wand matters.. but the magic the wand carries can more than make up for a lack of size. oh wait, am I changing the subject?

:bdaybiggrin:

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

What Angus said is in most situations correct. If the person is trained in Martial Arts, they are taught, hopefully, to have the walk, talk and attitude of a humble,modest guy while having the ability of a kick ass warrior. My Sensei always told me, in a fight you may be smaller and weaker; but you always have to have the look saying "you can't beat me". Having that on your side will make you that much stronger and that much taller.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Yeah, but also the guy may not be so intimidated is he has a 6 inch flick blade in his hand...

Still, he didn't manage to cut my throat like he said he would, he just ended up with very VERY sore testicles.

I just wanted to contribute to this thread as well, and state that in my opinion, that size and weight definitely matter. Also, figure that most people don't have training like most of us participating at this forum do. Most people have never had martial arts training, or any real training. A good majority of people that have, have little experience at that, dropped out of the training after a few weeks or months, or trained for a little while when they were young and never continued or continued to develop any skills.

Therefore, in most situations, you're looking at it from a perspective as per how much training and skill you personally have, since likely you are not going to run into someone skilled in martial arts. Maybe some street fighting skills, but maybe not. If you are training in a fairly effective martial arts style and develop skills and really use it, can use it and aren't afraid to use it (since most people, even that take martial arts are intimidated by frighting still anyway), then you have a big advantage, as long as you don't lose it and get all sloppy and stupid in a fight.

Size certainly matters. A lot of techniques you can use on someone, might not work on others. be it a take down, a lock, grabbing them, throwing, strikes or kicks or whatever else. Try some of these on a 250 pound man that's 6 foot tall. Someone's whoes arms are like logs, hands like beer bottles and legs like they are rooted into the ground. Yes, as long as you train and are skilled at dealing with people like that, you have a good chance. But, as we've seen people mention in this thread, what if the other guy is skilled too? Obviously your chances are lessened, even if not by much, but maybe a lot.

I think it's best to consider all the aspects. I fight skinny, fast people and i fight big, fast people. Some people that are small or large and slow too. Tall people, short people. I know a guy that's at least 6'7" and he's not too skinny but not fat either. You can try some things on him just for the fun of it to see how they'd work or fail and you again have to adapt and change the technique, develop it or just use an entirely different technique. It's a learning experience that we should all deal with, since some moves just simply will not work on some people, no matter what art you're talking about, since it can very much depend on your size and the opposing party's size. Obviously, the trick is to get used to it, train in techniques that will work against different type's of people -- with different types of skills.

Try and find relevant techniques that will be effective that can be a default to build off of and try and find styles that deal with them better than others. This is all my opinion, but I _always_ try and prepare myself for any situation with any fighter. I don't care how unusual, rare or unlikely it is, I've ran into them all at one point or another and I'd hate to think where I'd be if I didn't prepare myself physically, technically and mentally (considering all the variables of fighting different people, etc.) I mean, it's not like you can't train yourself with just your mind in some aspects too, get used to thinking about it, what you'd do, what they could do and so forth.. even if you don't have someone large to fight against, it's not impossible to consider the variables and what you'd do in reaction, based on those aspects.

Regards,

Tim Greer -> admin@chatbase.com | Phone: 530-222-7244

I study any and every style and I'm always looking to spar!!

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

Yeah man, that's called positive visualisation. I do it all the time and it makes me feel more safe.