• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Size does not matter

size really matters in a fight if a 140 pung guy that was is any MA vs a guy thats 240 the 240 man does got the advantage

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what size we're talking about. If it is weight then it doesn't matter. If it is height, then it does for strikers and I don't know for grapplers. Having that extra reach helps a bit, but doesn't ensure a victory.

Weight might matter for a grappler, but what do I know? Heh. I do know that I would find it harder to move a heavy guy than a light guy. Damn those laws of physics... :P

• 1 month later...
size does not matter...............if your large your have weight, and power on your side....if your small you have speed and agility on your side................personally intellect and technique plays a larger roll than size.

the knee/shin and sweeps are to the small persons advantage......upper body and strong arm techniques are to the large person advantage. :argue:

use your mind and your advantage will be obvious.

grapple with a heavier guy and you will quickly change your mind.

Size only matters when the skill level and fitness of both competitors is similar.

It still matters, just not as much. He will still have a harder time getting you off of him then someone lighter who is of the same skill as you. Also, strength can be used to fight certain positions and submissions, or to muscle your way out of or into a technique. Ideally, you want to have technique and strength. Then you must learn WHEN to use the strength.

size does not matter. if your tecnique is good enough you can prevail over any adversary. btw are we talking about height or weight? cuz i wrestle for my hight school. i wrestle at the 150lb weight class. and i love tall guys. you give me a tall guy even if he is a class above me i'll take him and win. short fat guys(like me) are harder.

SHORTDOG

short, wide guys have a lower center, and it's harder to get under them.

I've only gone through about 6 pages of this thread, but it looks as if the people who say it doesn't matter mare making assumptions that they shouldn't make:

1. that they are faster than the bigger guy

2. that the big guy isn't as well trained

3. that the fight won't go to the ground

Size(height and weight) matters just as much as the skill level of your opponent. Big and skilled and you'll have to deal with it appropriately. Small and skilled, then you'll have to appropriate your techniques to handle the situation. Size is not a guarantor of anything in a fight except that it most certainly changes the way you approach your opponent.

Having a 300lbs lump of flesh on top of you isn't any fun. Especially if that 300lbs. is defensive line, or full back or just pure muscle and trained to fight. But the size alone doesn't determine the outcome of a fight. You do. If you are ill-equipped to handle an opponent of any size then you will be the reason you lose.

Every person bleeds and breaks. The guy is huge and knows how to fight?...then fight accordingly and win that fight. Don't let the fear of your opponent's mass disrupt your rhythm.

Size matters and it doesn't matter. I don't care if my opponent is three times my size and does know how to fight. I'm still going to fight to win. Conversely, I don't care if my opponent is a dwarf and knows how to fight. I'm still going to fight to win. I have trained well, I have the tools to handle those circumstances..so, the size of my opponent means nothing to me except in determining which of my tools I might use.

This should apply to all martial artists who train for self-defense. (Those that train for competition most likely will never face anyone outside their particular weight class).

Just because your opponent is larger than you do not assume he is slow. Also, not all small people are quick. Never assume anyone you fight isn't skilled enough to handle themself in a fight. You might just get surprised and end up having your arse handed to you. Be prepared for all platforms the fight might progress to. Can you fight well standing and mobile? Can you fend well if the fight goes to the ground? Can you use your surroundings to your advantage? Are you willing to fight until the fight is over and you are safe?

Personally, I don't concern myself with the size of my opponent. HOWEVER, I do prepare myself for all types of opponents.

I suppose, then, that my stance on this issue is: size is as important as are a myriad of other factors governing the elements of a fight. Each just as important as the other.

MA.

ps.

But, even it being as important as the others, size alone does not 100% win fights.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

• 5 months later...