• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shuto Help!

June1

Hello! This is a question regarding one of the most basic moves-- the shuto strike.

I know how to do this, but the problem is, I have trouble landing in the back stance when I'm doing several consecutive shutos. I also need to "snap" the strike more.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may be able to improve this?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice! :D

Sorry, that wasn't really helpful was it... :roll:

Anyway, try practicing your shuto from a stationary position - forget about moving forwards or backwards for the time being. Try to get your hand technique correct before you add your feet to it. Make sure that you keep your elbow in the correct position (how your instructor has shown you) and that you don't twist your arm or have it at an odd angle. If possible, practice striking shuto on a heavy bag or wall bag (or just find a convenient relative to practice on! lol). By practinc g shuto without moving you'll be 'drilling' your body as to how it feels so that when you add moving about into the equation it'll not feel so much like patting your head and rubbing your tummy...

Once you've got to grips with what the hand position feels like (it should start to feel natural, not bent out of shape) then practice your back stance. Move forwards and backwards in back stance without using your arms - cross them on your chest or place them on your hips. Try and get the correct feel of the back stance and make sure that more of your weight is on your rear leg than on your front one. In my dojo the weight distribution is 80/20 for back leg/front leg, but it'll probably be different in your dojo. Ask your Sensei if you're not sure.

Once you feel more confident with your stance then try addin the shuto. Just do one at a time until you feel confident with it. then practice doing two in a row, then build up to three.

Make sure that you practice equally with both sides of your body and practice moving in all directions too (start with forwards and backwards then see if you can step at an angle and perform shuto at the same time).

As for the "snap" - try working out your arms using resistance bands/elastics. Also, practice shuto at varying speeds and tension.

Keep working on it and I'm sure you'll get it right! :) Good luck for your training!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I also need to "snap" the strike more.

When you execute the strike use your hips.

But the best advice I can give you is: ask your sensei for help or look into Masatoshi Nakayama's book Dynamic Karate.

hara wo neru

We had testing yesterday and our Sensei was showing a little kid how to break a board properly. So he's down on one knee with the little kid standing beside him showing him how to do it. The board is laid across two cinder blocks in front of him. So he's calmly talking to the kid explaining how to do it and then *bam* before you know it he has broken the board with a shuto strike. Damn him and his effortless karate moves! It's too bad he didn't bust out the moves more, I would have like to have seen how many boards he could break doing various moves. I guess he's not there for my amusement and astonishment though. :cry:

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

I guess he's not there for my amusement and astonishment though. :cry:

LOL! Guess not.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice! I'll keep practicing and keep you posted on my progress, in case you'd like to know. As well, I'll try to find Dynamic Karate!

OSU! :karate:

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."