• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My brother is asking me about tournaments, how you get into them and stuff like how many rounds are there, how do you get points...etc...

I don't know how to explain it to him (I've always been bad at explaining easy things) so if someone will reply with an answer that I can just print and give to him, that would be wonderful!

A Christian Karate student~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different promoters and different styles vary in how many rounds or how points are scored. Most point tournaments that I have been to were 1 round per opponent., however I have seen tournaments that were 2 or 3 rounds per opponent.

Many tournaments that I've been to gave 1 point for every good strike and 2 points for a kick to the head. Some gave points for takedowns. Some gave points for a superior positiion on the ground. Many do not allow takedowns.

Most declared the first person to acquire 3 points the winner while others used timed matches and the winner was whoever had the most points.

I suggest that you find out what specific tournament he is interested in and contact the promoter or you can tell the forum which tournament you have questions about and someone here can give you a specific answer.

What works works

My advice is to clear it with your instructor first. Some instructors don't want students to compete until they are ready and it's safe. They also don't want you representing them if you're not prepared and you do poorly. It reflects poorly on the school.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes